Why become a member? ×

50s 60s 70s 80s Second hand bass prices

Weststarx

I was at an open mic last Sunday and got chatting to a bassist and anyway he goes and grabs his 1968 Fender jazz (used to belong to Geezer Butlet from Black Sabbath at one point although the owner - Alan - doesn't have any proof so just has to hope people believe him).

So I'm playing an instrument that's 46 years old - 6 years older than my good self - and has seen a lot of gigging in those years. It has mojo as they say. This thing must be worth £2000-3000 maybe? Even without the Black Sabbath connection.

So whilst I never before really appreciated the vintage Fenders I do have to say that this bass felt rather special in my hands. I still liked the sharper snappier sound of my Squire VM jazz (which - and don't lynch me - had similar playability, a touch nicer neck even) but there was something about this '68 jazz. I guess it was thinking about all the history it had and how it was made closer to the dawn of the electric bass than anything else I've played.

Incidentally, the oldest bass I've owned is a 1988 Bass Collection SB320 fretless which was simply gorgeous and cost less than £300.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1414703201' post='2592538']
I was at an open mic last Sunday and got chatting to a bassist and anyway he goes and grabs his 1968 Fender jazz (used to belong to Geezer Butlet from Black Sabbath at one point although the owner - Alan - doesn't have any proof so just has to hope people believe him).

So I'm playing an instrument that's 46 years old - 6 years older than my good self - and has seen a lot of gigging in those years. It has mojo as they say. This thing must be worth £2000-3000 maybe? Even without the Black Sabbath connection.

So whilst I never before really appreciated the vintage Fenders I do have to say that this bass felt rather special in my hands. I still liked the sharper snappier sound of my Squire VM jazz (which - and don't lynch me - had similar playability, a touch nicer neck even) but there was something about this '68 jazz. I guess it was thinking about all the history it had and how it was made closer to the dawn of the electric bass than anything else I've played.
[/quote]

I was at the same gig, did both the Fenders sound the same-not exactly but they both sounded equally as good.

The '68 one had some old manky strings on and mine had brand new steel elixirs on which accounted for a little/some/a lot/most/all of the differences. Can't say for sure unless I tried them both with the same strings on. In the end though I came away still thinking that my Squire was a top class bass that stands up there with USA Fenders. I know that I'm currently upgrading the electronics/pots and pickups but hey, that 68 jazz had upgraded pickups (SD quarterpounders)...