Why become a member? ×

Affordable web host

JamesBass

So I'm looking to get myself an online presence and begin to make my tuition and session/dep work a lot more visible as I look to keep pushing to make music become my sole income.

So basic advice, what hosts are affordable, I'm looking for something sub £75 PA if possible, to actually code/form the website I shall be using either the usually free templates or WordPress. I already have purchased a domain name so just need to transfer it to wherever I decide to use!

Thanks!

It does depend what else you need.... but you should be able to get good space, and support from the top names.
The only thing I'd suggest is to use a U.K based host...just in case you ever need to talk to them.

A quick google of the top 10 U.K hosts should get you a few good deals for that money.
Also, if using Wordpress, choose one with a local instal... so you don't need to bother about FTP'ing an instal/build
onto the host. For that reason, maybe not 1&1 if the don't have a local WP install...( They didn't last time I looked )

go for wordpress - most hosts will have it set up ready to install - but as JT says you will most likely pay more for local installs of apps

also check the whole package - the price may look lower in comparison to others but some will possibly include domain name registration - or if they dont they might be charging less for the hosting but raking it back by charging an over-inflated price if you register a domain through them

If you want to host your own build check out TSO host - https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting) - uk based , great value and good support. If you don't have much experience in designing and building websites (or if you do and you just can't been bothered with all the hassle of maintaining a build :) ) then check out Squarespace. A bit more expensive but they do all the upgrades etc and leave you to focus on getting a site live. The templates look good and are all responsive out the box. The user control panel for updating is super easy to use too. I know we'd designers and dev's that are using squarespace as their content management system over free options as its that good.

If you want to use TSO host I have a discount code you can use - let me know and I'll generate one :)