Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb

thedontcarebear

I absolutely love my Warwick Thumb BO and it was a bass which I spent a long time saving up for. I think it looks really distinctive when worn 'properly' quite high up and practically horizontal. In fact, I've taken to wearing my other basses in a similar fashion.

I've got reasonably long arms so the long stretch to the 1st fret isn't really an issue, wearing it mostly over my rib cage. I've played it a few times in my covers band (2x 45 minute sets) and, although I did start to feel the weight a little in the 2nd set, it was certainly bearable for that great tone.

Interesting thread this. I traded my Jazz for a BO Thumb a couple of weeks ago (in fact, I think it might be martthebass's old one, which has come to me via another member).

The tone is amazing. Knocks anything else I've owned for six. But I have to concede that its not as comfortable as other basses I own. Its not that its heavy, or particulalrly uncomfortable, but compared to my Corvette and Precision, it doesn't quite feel immediately right. That having been said, its a great neck and action, and it sounds phenomenal.

[quote name='simon1964' post='252843' date='Aug 1 2008, 03:43 PM']Interesting thread this. I traded my Jazz for a BO Thumb a couple of weeks ago (in fact, I think it might be martthebass's old one, which has come to me via another member).

The tone is amazing. Knocks anything else I've owned for six. But I have to concede that its not as comfortable as other basses I own. Its not that its heavy, or particulalrly uncomfortable, but compared to my Corvette and Precision, it doesn't quite feel immediately right. That having been said, its a great neck and action, and it sounds phenomenal.[/quote]

Si,
maybe my scales are off, but I think it weighed in the same as my Precision (8.5 lbs) - like you tho, it didn't feel immediately comfortable. It did pain me to sell this, regret it but it wasn't getting used.

[quote name='martthebass' post='253334' date='Aug 2 2008, 03:02 PM']Si,
maybe my scales are off, but I think it weighed in the same as my Precision (8.5 lbs) - like you tho, it didn't feel immediately comfortable. It did pain me to sell this, regret it but it wasn't getting used.[/quote]

It seems a bit heavier than my Precision, but not as heavy as my old Jazz. I've just used it at a rehearsal, and the sound was perfect. And wearing it a bit higher on the strap, I think I'm coming round to it.

Ceratinly a different feel to most basses I've tried. Surprising, as my Corvette is as comfortable as any bass I've played. Perhaps I need to get the Warwick Custom Shop to do me an Ovangkol Corvette body with Thumb pickups and electronics - although I'm not sure I'll get that past Mrs 1964 at the moment!