Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000 Indonesia

gadgie

re: quality - having read lots of good stuff about them, on here and elsewhere, I tried one in PMT in Norwich a while back and was really disappointed.

I wouldn't write 'em off completely, but from my experience I wouldn't buy one unseen/untried.

I have had a Tribute L-2000 and a Tribute M-2000. Fantastic basses, well put together, sound great. Just watch out for the half baseball bat neck on the Tribute L2K ;) Contrary to barkin's experience, I bought both the above basses unseen/online with no bother, so I would have no qualms going again.

I'd say £280 for a second hand Tribute L-2000 is a decent price (I'd say £300-350 is the normal range depending on the model - you'll pay a slight premium for the trans finish or the carved top).

Perhaps I was a little harsh. I'm speaking, after all, of a sample size of one!

But a large part of my disappointment was maybe because I was expecting, having never played one before - and going by things I'd read, to be wowed. And sound-wise, I probably could've been. Lots of options for pickups etc, and some really nice powerful sounds in there. And it looked really nice. And the hardware seemed nice too. And it was a very tempting price. And I'd got the OK from the Financial Controller...

But I really couldn't get past the horrible fretwork on this particular example. If I'd bought it online, I'd have sent it back - no question.
I fully accept that it's probably not typical of the brand/model, but my experience is what it is.

There ya go - just thought I should expand a bit on my previous (rather terse) comment :)

Its a great price, I sold mine a few months ago for around £300.

These are great instruments. Really aggressive tone that can break through the mix really well.

As its well known and the major selling point, the G and Ls are made by Leo Fender. And personally I think they're rival them very well. Put them up against a MIM Fender Jazz deluxe and you get a similar tone. Maybe the G and L is a bit superior with the great tapping and slapping tones.

The build quality is great as well. On the contrary of some other comments on this thread, the body is very thick and the neck can be quite bulky if you're buying a five string version. However I do agree in the sense that the fretboard is a bit Squier-esque. But if you enjoy that kind of basic playability which I enjoyed then by all means its the bass for you.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1411430450' post='2559518']
That's the new price. I've seen and held the guitar and the lad in the shop played it. Sounded good. I was just wondering on the cost for VFM
[/quote]

That price lies somewhere between "too good to be true", "WTF?", and "pricing error" ;)

I've checked the rates again just now. It's actually 295quid, but no case. It's down from around 470, so I suppose that's a bit of a deal. I'll go back and check them out to try the necks for a bit longer to see how I get on, but I didn't feel any issues on my first visit.

[quote name='JamesTun' timestamp='1411421804' post='2559456']
Its a great price, I sold mine a few months ago for around £300.

These are great instruments. Really aggressive tone that can break through the mix really well.

As its well known and the major selling point, [b]the G and Ls are made by Leo Fender[/b]. And personally I think they're rival them very well. Put them up against a MIM Fender Jazz deluxe and you get a similar tone. Maybe the G and L is a bit superior with the great tapping and slapping tones.

The build quality is great as well. On the contrary of some other comments on this thread, the body is very thick and the neck can be quite bulky if you're buying a five string version. However I do agree in the sense that the fretboard is a bit Squier-esque. But if you enjoy that kind of basic playability which I enjoyed then by all means its the bass for you.
[/quote]

I think Leo had been dead for some time (1991) before the Indonesian ones came along! I believe the pickups are the same as the US ones.