Why become a member? ×

Paul Simonon pics

99ster

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='251119' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:03 AM']Love his playing with the Clash and attitude on-stage but that band in the photos - The Good Band & The Queen are truly terrible. I had the misfortune to see them doing a showcase gig a year or two ago and it was painful. I've had more fun at the dentist.[/quote]

Oh dear, I think they are pretty ace to be honest, I love Simonon's bass playing in that. How could you not like Tony Allen?? One of the best afrobeat drumeers around.

Regardless, the man is a legend. Cheers for the shots 99ster, I love seeing pics of that bass. I really want to know if that is a replacement neck or whether he painted the headstock. it has a skunk stripe at the back os am confused! I love his playing, was listening to the crooked beat just last night.

[quote name='stinson' post='251779' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:24 AM']Regardless, the man is a legend. Cheers for the shots 99ster, I love seeing pics of that bass. I really want to know if that is a replacement neck or whether he painted the headstock. it has a skunk stripe at the back os am confused! I love his playing, was listening to the crooked beat just last night.[/quote]

Hearing & seeing Simonon is why I started playing bass 26 year ago. He is a total legend & the coolest man to ever play bass - quite apart from a being a criminally underrated bass player (& a bloody good artist as well!). Only hope I can still look that good at 53!
For sure 'The Good, The Bad & The Queen' was far from perfect - but just to have him play bass again after such a long absence made the whole project worthwhile for me.

As for that bass - I reckon it is a replacement neck for one of his old 70's basses - & he painted the headstock black himself (& check out the fat spliff wedged under the E string). Never seen him play a rosewood fretboard P bass with The Clash - but the body looks very familiar, so I wouldn't be surprised if the original maple/maple neck was worn out & needed replacing...

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='stinson' post='251934' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:34 AM']Good suggestions. He used it towards the end of The Clash and with [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOUfqUBBbOg"]Havana 3am[/url]

Would love to know if he used/uses flats or rounds![/quote]

Well spotted (but that Havana 3am were dreadful - what a waste of his talents)! That's most definitely the same bass...
Strings?
I would say roundwounds - but it's so hard to get any info about his basses or gear - there are so few interviews were he talks about it...

[quote name='99ster' post='251073' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:12 AM']For all you Simonon fans...
:)
Stumbled across these on t'internet - [url="http://flickr.com/photos/luptonn/tags/paulsimonon/"]some good pics of the great man in action[/url].[/quote]
Cheers! He's cool as f**k!

Saw him play with TGTBTQ a couple of years back. He's certainly a cool geezer, with a very distinctive style, but I have to confess, I didn't make it to the end of the gig, I'd heard enough after an hour and left, one of only two gigs I've ever walked out on.

The album is OK if I'm in the right mood, and he's the best thing on it IMO. Glad to have seen him play up close though having never got to see the clash, the man's a legend.

[quote name='Rayman' post='252147' date='Jul 31 2008, 04:27 PM']Saw him play with TGTBTQ a couple of years back. He's certainly a cool geezer, with a very distinctive style, but I have to confess, I didn't make it to the end of the gig, I'd heard enough after an hour and left, one of only two gigs I've ever walked out on.

The album is OK if I'm in the right mood, and he's the best thing on it IMO. Glad to have seen him play up close though having never got to see the clash, the man's a legend.[/quote]

Yeah - I only bought the LP because Simonon was playing on it... Wouldn't have been interested if he hadn't been involved.

I saw TGTBATQ when they were on Jools Holland last year I think, I was in the audience. They were not my cup of char. PS's strap came off during one song and had to play crouching down. That bit was edited out when it aired on TV though.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='251119' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:03 AM']Love his playing with the Clash and attitude on-stage but that band in the photos - The Good Band & The Queen are truly terrible. I had the misfortune to see them doing a showcase gig a year or two ago and it was painful. I've had more fun at the dentist.[/quote]

+1, the clash were amazing, the good the bad and the queen are awful. i suppose they're completely different though, the clash fans arent going to like the good the bad and the queen.

Well, somebody's got to post it in a thread called ''Paul Simonon pics''. Arguably the most iconic photo of the punk era, and its a bassist!

Along with Bruce Foxton and JJ Burnell, Paul Simonon was one of the bassists who influenced me to pick up the bass 30 years ago. Much better player than people give him credit for.

Edited by simon1964