Why become a member? ×

White Lines Bass Chords

tiffen

Hi I have watched a video on youtube of white lines grandmaster flash. The bass being used is a 5 string. On the intro he plays chords, the first chord is a D shape, 10th fret on the A string and 12th fret on the G string.
I cant make out what chords are next and how to adapt the song to suit a 4 string bass to create the same sound, can this chord sound only be created on a 5 string should I give up or has anyone any ideas?

cheers Jim

Are you watching a live version? Because I've just listened to my version of the track and I can't hear any bass chords in there? Perhaps he's just doing it for effect in the video, or to double the vocal sample at the begining, I'm sure on the original there's no bass chords.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='252374' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:15 PM']For that last double stop, you could always play it with an open G or fifth fret D, with a fifth fret harmonic on the A string.[/quote]
Isn't that harmonic really an octave too low?

If you're gonna use a harmonic, I suggest playing the E-string at the 15th fret, while fretting the G-string at fret 14, and playing an artificial harmonic at the imaginary 26th fret.

[quote name='tiffen' post='252635' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:16 PM']Hi all, the double stops on the E root work right up to the last double stop.
for 1 my bass doesnt have 26 frets. Any ideas on how to create the last double stop in the sequence.

cheers Jim[/quote]
Like this:
[code]G-12-16-19-14*--
D---------------
A---------------
E-15-15-15-15---[/code]
*Fret the string here, but tough it lightly where the 26th fret should be if you had one; I suggest you pluck the E-string with your thumb, the G-string with your ring finger, and touch the string (at fret position 26) with your index finger. It's not very hard.

If you fret the E-string with your left hand middle finger, you should be able to reach all the G-string notes with the other fingers. If I had a web cam, I'd record me playing it for you, but I don't.

Edited by Cernael