Why become a member? ×

Second bass upcoming...

Faithless

So, as I'm in two bands, and I gotta play in different tunings, I'm in urgent need of second bass..

I'm mainly looking after used-one, cuz my cash is about 150-200 quid, and, all in all, I do not see any meaning in buying a New one.. :)

So, I'm playing mainly rock, but I'm also a bit after funk and other groovy/soft stuff, so, what I need is versalite [active], 5-string, thin-necky bass.

I have Ibanez SR Prestige as my main bass, and I wouldn't want, that my upcoming bass'd have slightly different feeling [for eg., if'd take Yamaha or Warwick...]

I mentioned only three brands, cuz they came up to my mind first, but other suggestions are also welcome...

But, if talking about those 3, I know, how Ibby[i] feels[/i], more or less[ I play it, at least, hehe..]; I've tried few Warwicks in shop [RockBass and Streamer SS], and, never head serious 'relationships' with Yamaha.

So, anyone could help me there?

Edited by Faithless

As I've mentioned somewhere there before, I [i]wouldn't [/i]want a bass with [i]slightly[/i] different feel, for eg., fat-necky or somethin..

Why I'm asking for opinions - that's because I [i]maaay[/i] be looking at what EvilBay has, cuz, here, in Lithuania, it's hard even to find a seller, I'm not even talking about what bass he'd be selling...

Yamaha BBs are great basses, I can recommend them for that price. Squier Vintage Modified Jazz is about the best bass you can get for that kind of money in my opinion. Anything by Ibanez should be a good bass, but try before you buy.

If I wanted a bass for around 150 quid, I'd be looking for the Squier.

Edit; just noticed it's a fiver you want, so I'd look for a Yamaha BB.

Edited by Rayman

Dude, I can swear, Squier's Vintage is a passive one.. Really not the one, I'm looking for..

Well, I think, I'll be looking for Ibby SR or SRX..
Anyone could give a few words about their differences? Is it 'just' quality thingies or something more?

They do not look very 'different' to me...

+1 for Ibanez dude. I'm a SGR head too, love those fast bubinga necks on the 500/505s.

Warwicks are expensive for what you get (and believe me, you get a great bass, but there increase in price a while back was enough to put ME off), and a common complaint is the neck profile, too beefy for some. I find Yammys (dons flame retardent jacket) a bit meh, but the BB range are great value.

So yeah, my advice would be to look at more Ibbys. ATKs are great, but have a slightly fatter neck (closer to a p or 'ray), but deffo check em out 'cos they really are great value basses.

Also, check the BTB range - The through neck they do is fantastic, great tone, sustain, fast neck, and a 35 scale - the five strings are awesome value and the B sounds great (I took mine to a low F sharp and walls were coming down), + they have Barts :) ....... Only prob I found was the lack of contouring on the back, hacked into my ribs after a while but hey, no pain no gain! And I suppose it depends how low you hang it :huh:. You can pick up the older models for around your budget, but stay clear of the very basic models, they are lemons.

Alternatively, look at this bad boy.....

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=SR305"]http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=SR305[/url]

Great price for a great bass! Tone in buckets.

EDIT: The SRX range retains most of its sibling's best features, but adds HUGE sounding pups and WIDER string pitching on the fives, for those about to rock (see Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, and even Carol Kaye) ...... Hope this helps

Edited by metalmickey

Know what, mate, today I went to shop, and asked for Ibbies, they have - I've found [url="http://ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=GSR205"]GSR[/url] (black one) and [url="http://ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=EDB555"]EDB[/url] one...

EDB was twice-the-price as GSR, and I couldn't afford it, so, after a bit of trying, I took GSR..
EDB one felt really better, but, money... :)

Oh, there was also Vintage V950, but it's Sh1111tty heavy, and, though, I liked it a bit more than GSR, it would have killed my back in time..

I didn't pay for GSR yet, but, I think, I'll be sticking with him for time.. It's not going to be my main bass, and I also have Line6 POD, so, I hope, I'll take the True sound outta him..

Any comments on choosing? :huh:

[quote name='Faithless' post='250477' date='Jul 29 2008, 02:49 PM']EDB was twice-the-price as GSR, and I couldn't afford it, so, after a bit of trying, I took GSR..
EDB one felt really better, but, money... :)[/quote]

How long would it take you to save up the extra for the EDB?

S.P.

[quote name='Faithless' post='250477' date='Jul 29 2008, 02:49 PM']Oh, there was also Vintage V950, but it's Sh1111tty heavy, and, though, I liked it a bit more than GSR, it would have killed my back in time..[/quote]

I've still got my V950, and depending on your strap height the weight of the bass is fine, if it is at least above your waist it will sit comfortably and there is no real pull from the bass at all, I've done countless gigs with the old girl before I retired her and I can't re-call any pain brought on from the bass. Incidentally, compared to the Ibby's your looking into, IMHO, the V950 is one of the best 5 strings around in it's price range, for it's price you get a seriously growly work horse, that both looks nice and can deliver a great array of tones, whereas all of the Ibby's I've had experience with, all felt like souless, toneless robots.

Honestly, save the extra for the EDB - they are built better and it will serve you better as a second bass in the long run. Shame you couldnt ask them to get an SR305 for you to try though!

- 1 for the souless, toneless comment though Josh, not at all what I have experienced from the lastest models, especially the 300/305.....

Warwick necks are thick, REALLY THICK!!!

On the other hand, if you can deal with a thick neck or dare to do some sanding, the Warwick/Rockbass Streamer Standard 5 strings has a sound you wouldnt believe until you try one of them. Yes, I know they are passive, but very few active basses match these ones sound.

Edited by Fraktal

[quote name='Faithless' post='251547' date='Jul 30 2008, 07:00 PM']Today I gave my money to the shop-Assistant for GSR one...

What the funk have I done? :huh:[/quote]

A GSR should be fine as a backup bass. One of my pupils, Fiona has the lowly GSR190 (or was that GSR180??) in bright red, with P&J pickups. It's a storming bass for the money.

A good choice, methinks :)

The most interesting in tonight practise (I'm now mussing GSR, as I want to get 'a bit closer' with it..) was, when after 2 hours playing I've bethinked to take SR Prestige Ibby and play the same exercise...

I can now deeeaaarly say, I'm JUST now starting to understand of what [i]good[/i] instrument means(SR Prestige in this case..), and it's benefits..