Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Parts/materials advice wanted

Dom in Dorset

I'm starting a new project soon and may attempt to make the neck myself.
I did this once before and found the result hopelessly unstable.
The possible reasons :
I used a cheap truss rod. - any recommendations?
I used birdseye maple - is that ok for necks? I still have some but should I get some good straight grained stuff instead?
I thinned it too much - I'll be paying much closer attention to my fender neck this time.

I'd say until you are confident making necks then go with more predictable straight grained maple. Birdseye can be used but will be more difficult to carve and potentially weaker due to the irregular grain pattern.

As for truss rods, have a look into carbon fibre reinforcement, I've been experimenting with 2mm x 12 mm battens epoxied into necks. They're light and incredibly stiff. Maybe one of those plus a decent steel truss rod to give a bit of adjustment.

First neck I made was very chunky, but if you get the profile & finish right then they're still very playable.

Could be your third choice (thinned too much) though I doubt it unless you went mega skinny, how thin did you go? Most truss rods are pretty much the same, so I doubt it's to blame. Normally the most likely cause of an unstable neck is the wood itself and I'm not talking the species (Birdseye is fine) but more how it was dried and for how long. There is also such thing as crap wood which will never become stable!

Edited by Manton Customs