Why become a member? ×

i pimped my big muff

ahpook

it was time to say goodbye to the crappy board-mounted sockets, crackly potentiometers and 9v batteries, so i ordered up the parts and after a bit of drilling and soldering the muff's all pimped up to F%£k !!

switchcraft jacks and pots
9v socket from pedalmods.co.uk

the LED holder was a little mangled in the upgrades (ahem), so i'll need to replace that, but it's overall the pepals a [i]lit[/i] more tougher-feeling.

nice relaxing hour on a saturday afternoon :)

Edited by ahpook

Looks good.
Whats changed inside?
Planning on rehousing mine in a smaller case, adding a 9v in, and possibly modding it with something from here:
[url="http://www.student.ru.nl/r.kerkhof/Taas/Mods/Big%20Muff.htm"]http://www.student.ru.nl/r.kerkhof/Taas/Mods/Big%20Muff.htm[/url]

i've not really changed musch, although having seen the quality of the hook-up wire inside i think it would be worth it at some point !!!

all i did was to rewire the pots and take the battery leads to the 9v socket, take the board-mounted sockets off and replace them with flying leads to the chassis style sockets.

i did have to redrill the housing though - the stock pots are an unusual size, and i had to put a hole in for the 9v socket.

[quote name='umph' post='249453' date='Jul 28 2008, 11:06 AM']you try changing the input and output caps to? maybe change some of the clipping caps to or the diodes for more tubelike grit oh the possibilitys ;<[/quote]

no i didn't, i'm quite happy with the sound - it's not my main distortion pedal...i use it live for a stupidly fuzzy/feedbacky tone, which it does fine with the stock components. i just wanted ot make it a bit more robust.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='249484' date='Jul 28 2008, 12:07 PM']You haven't put any blue "neons" on it - that's not pimped.[/quote]

Pink LEDs!

Last time I opened up a Muff I put a switch in to connect a feedback loop between two of the transistors. You can make an ugly drone, with pitch controlled by the distortion knob, and texture by the tone knob. Then play along with it. Musically useless, but fun anyway.