Why become a member? ×

tobias toby pro 5b custom

budget bassist

I was fed up of the boring old tobias pickups, so i went and installed some barts earlier today courtesy of garbev. They're a little thin though, so there are gaps either side of the pickups, they're not amazingly level either, but the sound makes up for that. I'm thinking of asking a lutheir or something for some bubinga offcuts for free so i can fill the gaps, what do you reckon? I would also like to put a new bridge, bartolini preamp and grover or schaller tuners on it at some point too. Pictures:

Edited by budget bassist

Awww cool!

And of course, Michael Tobias put Barts in the USA Tobias basses too! - I believe thats what he puts in his own MTD basses as standard as well?

I was thinking, instead of just getting some bits of wood to stick in the holes, why not have a luthier make up some proper inserts to match the 'colour scheme' of the bass, that would look like they were meant to be there all along? Maybe some laminates? The laminates of the neck thrue design is a 5 piece Wenge and Maple slab, so maybe something that matches that, or takes the design around the pups? Wouldn't be too expensive and would look sexy as!! I really love Tobias basses. I have owned a couple. Both 6ers, one in 'natural' and another that had a gorgeous translucent red finish. My Shuker 7 string and my 6 string that is on the way, actually have a lot of specs from the Tobiases, making them feel familiar.. and as you know, really rather good to play!

Dan

Thanks for the compliments :) i was thinking about that idea but i didn't know how much it would cost... it's certainly something to think about, the only thing is making it so that if i wanted to sell it on i could take them out again because the old pickups could drop right in there.

Oh and you're right yeah, those pickups actually came out of a USA tobias accoring to garbev :huh: MTD use them too.

Anybody interested in some before and after sound clips? I rather like what they do to the sound, they seem to have a bit more bite and make the higher strings less tinny, while making the lower strings more boomy, but still retaining definition, i like!

Edited by budget bassist