Why become a member? ×

Shrewsbury Folk Festival - Any insights?

The Admiral

Not sure how much of a folky membership we have on BC, but Mrs A has bought some tickets for the Shrewsbury Festival as a birthday present and we are off shortly. We do Cambridge now and then, depending on who is on, but I believe SFF is a bit more hardcore folk and I'm not sure how the Mrs is going to take to the morris dancing and finger in your ear/ dead fisherman stuff, so I'd welcome any experience anyone can share.

It looks quite compact and friendly, but its a 4 day ticket and ironically, the guy I'd really like to see (Jim Moray) is closing the festival on the Sunday, after we have to leave.

All suggestions as to who to go and check out also welcome.

Line up here : http://shrewsburyfolkfestival.co.uk/line-up/

Cheers

A

That's some lineup!

If I [b]had[/b] to make a choice I'd go for the following:

Bellowhead - big brash and loud. Great fun to watch. :)

Seth Lakeman - Everyone knows this guy, I'd definitely go and see him.

Lau - Really interesting Scottish group - fantastic musicians.

Steve Knightley’s Wake the Union - Not seen Steve under this banner, but he always does a superb performance.

The Full English - Really interesting project through the EFDS. Seth Lakeman, Fay Hield, Martin Simpson and Sam Sweeney (whose Mum is the practice nurse at my local surgery!).
Got to see. :)

Martin Simpson - Lovely guitarist.

Karine Polwart - Definitely worth seeing.

Steve Tilston Trio - Really nice songwriter - Fairport regularly nick his songs. :)

Jim Moray - Another must see. Really interesting modern takes on traditional songs.

Huw Williams & Maartin Allcock - Not familiar with Huw Williams but Maart is always worth seeing.

Rex Preston & Miranda Sykes - Miranda and Rex have recorded some lovely stuff over the last few years.

Blackbeard’s Tea Party - They appear to have far too much fun to be a real band. :D
Check out their bass player - he's Timo on here. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1408030245' post='2526431']
That's some lineup!

If I [b]had[/b] to make a choice I'd go for the following:

Bellowhead - big brash and loud. Great fun to watch. :)

Seth Lakeman - Everyone knows this guy, I'd definitely go and see him.

Lau - Really interesting Scottish group - fantastic musicians.

Steve Knightley’s Wake the Union - Not seen Steve under this banner, but he always does a superb performance.

The Full English - Really interesting project through the EFDS. Seth Lakeman, Fay Hield, Martin Simpson and Sam Sweeney (whose Mum is the practice nurse at my local surgery!).
Got to see. :)

Martin Simpson - Lovely guitarist.

Karine Polwart - Definitely worth seeing.

Steve Tilston Trio - Really nice songwriter - Fairport regularly nick his songs. :)

Jim Moray - Another must see. Really interesting modern takes on traditional songs.

Huw Williams & Maartin Allcock - Not familiar with Huw Williams but Maart is always worth seeing.

Rex Preston & Miranda Sykes - Miranda and Rex have recorded some lovely stuff over the last few years.

Blackbeard’s Tea Party - They appear to have far too much fun to be a real band. :D
Check out their bass player - he's Timo on here. :)
[/quote]

Fantastic response - thanks.

And the Blackbeard's Tea Party session is an audience 'dress up as a pirate' theme apparently - should be interesting!

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1408041967' post='2526600']
And the Blackbeard's Tea Party session is an audience 'dress up as a pirate' theme apparently - should be interesting!
[/quote]

Shhhh!

It's taken years to nurture that 'arran sweater and finger in the ear' image.
We don't want [b]everyone[/b] joining in the fun... :ph34r:

;)

• 4 weeks later...