Why become a member? ×

Playing along to backing and click tracks live - How to do it?

Sean

Hi all

I'm stuck! Hopefully someone will have a solution that's easy to implement.

My band has had some keys tracks recorded so we can do three of our songs live.

I have wav files of the keyboard and also the click so I can mix and manipulate them to suit. What I can't work out is how do I get the click + keys tracks to the drummer's cans whilst the keys track goes out of the PA/Monitors?

To my simple mind it's like the drummer needs his own personal mix of the three channels (stereo keys + click) and the PA needs just the stereo keys.

How do I do this simply?

Thanks
Sean

When I've used click and backing tracks in the past, the drummer would usually have a small mixer and obviously control of the song.

The Wav/audio file would be panned left (for click) and right (for audio) which feed into the small mixer, split over two channels, The drummer unfortunately gets to hear both the click (has to be really annoying after a while!) and the track in his/her cans, the small mixer is then connected to the front if house from the audio channel via stereo outputs. Hope this makes sense.

The drummer will probably not need the keyboard in stereo: I used to play in a band that had backing tracks and a click track.
The backing track was sent in stereo to the PA, I used a wireless IEM that had two inputs, one for my monitor mix and one for the click track, with separate volume controls.
A a rule of thumb: for live sound, mono is the way to go ;)

Edited by Shedua511

Our drummist has an HDR where the backing is stored on tracks, a separate click track is on for each song and we just set the output to the pa minus the click obviously. Be aware that if the drummer loses it the whole thing is likely to collapse. Sorry I can't be more technical but that's our drummers domain.

We do backing from tracks from an ipod with a little splitter. The tracks have click panned left and keys panned right. Drummist gets a mono click to his headphone amp and foh gets the keys in mono. Works well as long as your drummist can play to a click.

As MrTcat,
only on an ipad.Or an iPhone,or android phone or....anything cheap and small that can play a stereo wav.
Mono mix to foh
Mono click to drummer
Baktraxs is a good app for iPhones and iPads,saves yer set, can stick songs in order, plays to end of track then stops,loads of little things that make it easier.