Why become a member? ×

Jamerson Style advice

Damonjames

Hey all, sorry to lure you here under false pretences, but my question is actually related to Rob DeLeo and a couple his songs I am trying
To make sense of. But since he openly admits to rehashing jamerson, I figure the two are somewhat interchangeable in this instance as it applies to the way they create their bass lines.

I am trying to understand theory and how to create my own lines by looking I to how these two songs (plush and interstate love song) are written in relation to the appropriate scale. Plush is in G minor and interstate is E major (I think) yet studying the bass lines I am finding a lot that are outside the scale. I understand the concept of passing notes, but some of the notes appear to be played at the same time as a chord, so do I have the key wrong?
How far "out" can you play and get away with it???

If someone could assist if be very greatlfull!

One very confuzzed little bass player!

Right I've spent a few minutes trying to get accurate chords (as opposed to power chords ;) and this seems to be close, might help answer you question and maybe a theory whizz can help decipher the key:

Verse
G D/F# F C Eb7 F

"and I feel it" part
D Cadd9 G/B Cadd9

Bridge
Eb7 F

Chorus
G F C Eb7 D G

Here's the link: http://www.e-chords.com/chords/stone-temple-pilots/plush

Hope it helps!

'Passing tones' should lead to the next chord. It's good if they are intervals of the current chord that are very close chromatically to notes of the following chord, but if they lie between the two it still works if it's clear to the ear how its going to resolve.

I guess that's the main thing - the note needs to indicate a resolution, because it's going to create tension. If the note doesn't tell the listener, in some way, where the melody is going, then don't play it.