Why become a member? ×

Nottingham Music Shops?

lou24d53

Anyone know of any decent music shops in Nottingham?

I've just been roped into going down for an overnight mid-September to visit an exhibition for my work - which I'm guessing won't take up a great deal of the day! - and I was wondering if there was anywhere worth visiting whilst I'm down.

I'll be staying in the Crown Plaza, so preferably looking for city centre shops only.
I've no intention of venturing much further than the area between the hotel and the train station!

Cheers.

There really isn't a great deal in the city centre. Although 'between the hotel and train station' actually covers most of the city centre in this case.

There's Musicroom in the Victoria Centre which is ok but generally a bit overpriced.

There's the Drum & Guitar Centre which is sort of near the station, if you take a small detour.

Music Inn is in the opposite direction to the station but only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

There's Millennium Music too, which was once Academy Of Sound, near the Drum Centre but it's pretty pants these days.

HotRox is good but it's the furthest out of the way from where you'll be.

There's also a brass/woodwind shop called Windblowers near the hotel too, if you're into that sort of thing?

Edited by joeystrange

Cheers, never having been to Nottingham, I've no idea where any of these places are, but I'll be sure to do some research beforehand. It says it is about a mile from the hotel to the station - well, according to the Crowne Plaza website - so I'll try and come up with a walkable route to capture a few on the way.

Not been in Music Inn for ages (does the miserable old bag still run it?) but as said before it's your nearest. They used to have about as much gear as anywhere else in city centre but that's not saying a lot these days. I recall I traded in a combo and a washburn there to get a cheapo semi acoustic I needed for a gig. On reflection I got a pretty lousy deal, only ever bought strings from them since and that must be 5 or 6 years ago at least.

Pretty much what Joeystrange said. I'd add that:
MusicRoom have a decent amount of basses and lots of everything else.
Guitar and Drum Centre is a great place. Nice staff. Lots of guitars and a smallish selection of basses, mostly Fenders, Yamaha and Ibanez (ATK!)
Lots of stuff at the Music Inn, some more unusual basses and they also do second hand. Yes, they do follow you around the shop, but you get used to it :-D