Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spirit Of Radio

Hot Tub

Well cover me in double cream and call me Ermentrude! I only just played it! And it was damn near perfect! :)

OK, OK, I know, it's not the most complex Rush arrangment. But I found it lurking in the depths of my MP3 player and thought, "Fine, I'll give it a go." Talk about inspired...! I thought I'd maybe get the roots figured and take it from there, but I played the whole damn thing - all the runs, all the fills, everything!

Have you ever sat down to play something new and it's just sort of come to you? Isn't it a wonderful feeling? :huh:

Just wanted to share a happy moment. It's the little things.

As you were.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :brow: :wub: :huh: :) :)

[quote name='Astronomer' post='247334' date='Jul 24 2008, 10:12 PM']Well cover me in double cream and call me Ermentrude! I only just played it! And it was damn near perfect! :)

OK, OK, I know, it's not the most complex Rush arrangment. But I found it lurking in the depths of my MP3 player and thought, "Fine, I'll give it a go." Talk about inspired...! I thought I'd maybe get the roots figured and take it from there, but I played the whole damn thing - all the runs, all the fills, everything!

Have you ever sat down to play something new and it's just sort of come to you? Isn't it a wonderful feeling? :huh:

As you were.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :brow: :wub: :huh: :) :)[/quote]

Good work, I have never heard the song but still well done.

I had the same feeling when I worked out how to play Take the Power Back by Rage again not the most complex but I nailed it.

I've had the experience a few times with Rush, including: [i]Red Barchetta[/i], [i]Middletown Dreams[/i], and (more recently) [i]Far Cry[/i]. Other Rush tracks take me a wee bit longer e.g. I still haven't figured out all of [i]Show Don't Tell[/i] (Presto, 1989). :)

[quote name='Rayman' post='247603' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:23 AM']I wouldn't mind having a go at Spirit Of Radio myself, did you pick it up just by listening to the track?[/quote]

Yes, that's all. Mind you, I've been listening to it on and off since Permanent Waves came out, so I know it pretty well. I guess it just filtered down into my subconscious over the years, so that when I tried to play it it was quite easy.

:)

I used to be able to play most of it, it was always the bit where the bass is doing the run very tight with the drums just before the main riff that I found a struggle. When I saw a proper transcription I realised why - a *lot* of notes in a short space of time, very easy to slurr them together. On the subject of Rush, has anyone seen the tribute band Bravado? I'm considering seeing them tonight in Sutton-in-Ashfield, wondered what anyone thought, the clips on their web site are poorly recorded so hard to tell...

[quote name='Astronomer' post='247334' date='Jul 24 2008, 10:12 PM']Well cover me in double cream and call me Ermentrude! I only just played it! And it was damn near perfect! :)

As you were.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :brow: :wub: :huh: :) :)[/quote]

Nice one! Difficult number that!

[quote name='KevB' post='247680' date='Jul 25 2008, 11:31 AM']I used to be able to play most of it, it was always the bit where the bass is doing the run very tight with the drums just before the main riff that I found a struggle.[/quote]

That's the bit that concerns me, I can't pick the notes out of the mix well enough to have a go at it.