Why become a member? ×

Guitarist - retuning when putting a capo on...

Marvin

It's difficult because of the increase in alternative tunings being used now. This really has an impact for the guitar, and renders the use of a floating bridge impractical. The tuning is now one of considerations for a new cover in both the bands I play in.

How long are you actually talking about? 20 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes?

Could they practice their tuning technique as how is it taking more than a few seconds to fine tune (not as though you are tuning up a new set of strings or something, is it)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405941547' post='2506682']
Make him buy a Spider Capo. Tunings can be changed very quickly, even during a song.

[url="http://www.spidercapo.com/"]http://www.spidercapo.com/[/url]
[/quote]

That's what I was gonna say :) , but I couldn't remember what they were called.

Maybe get a polytune tuner pedal ? That may make the tuning process a bit faster.

You can't blame the poor sod for trying to stay in tune fer Christ's sake ! (I'm assuming he does it silently - doing it be ear at full vol is a bit of a ball ache). Surely you can think of some gag/wisecrack/intro/ to talk to the williams about in the 'gap'. A succession of 5 second intervals that go 'This is called 'Devil on a Motorbike...1 2 3 4 ' all night long would have me straight out of the door. Guitarists need to tune - drummers need to adjust their adjusting things - singing bass players need to have a slug of their pint etc etc. Plus the Williams like to turn to their mates and say stuff like 'These lot are ace/sh*te etc'. Use the gap - don't fight it.

If you want one of my tuning gap lines try 'Look at this dozy c**t tuning up again - 2 grand guitar , buys his strings from the f**king pound shop '. Usually gets a laugh.