Why become a member? ×

Is 500w D class too much?

Bobthedog

Just want to add the fan noise does not transmit the sound through the amp it is pure wind noise. I have a 1U PA amp with the same size fans and these make exactly the same noise It does not worry me but if we are not playing and MD is talking people in the band will look round and say what is that. So I can see why the Pit Muso on Talkbass site has an issue in that situation.

My MB800 fans usually start after about 10 minutes powered up and keep going pretty much all the time, they do speed up when the amp is working harder, but will run even when I'm not playing - they are noticeable at rehearsals but not in gigs. These amps are really efficient, mine never feels warm to the touch and the fan exhaust feels cool, even after a couple of hours at large club volume.

I have a Streamliner 600 which I bought after looking at the Orange too. You say you are concerned at not getting the "tubey" sound at low volumes. On the Streamliner the pre amp controls are independent of the master volume control so I can dial in the grit I want even at low volumes. The fan on mine is really quiet too. Plus the other features the Streamliner has over the Terror win it for me. Headphones, Aux in, excellent do with switchable level, pre and post eq, etc... If you can find one I would definitely try it out. If you want to hear what the di sounds like check out my bands work in progress page on soundcloud...search for Guitarmaggedon and listen to "Simmer"

I have a Streamliner 600 which I bought after looking at the Orange too. You say you are concerned at not getting the "tubey" sound at low volumes. On the Streamliner the pre amp controls are independent of the master volume control so I can dial in the grit I want even at low volumes. The fan on mine is really quiet too. Plus the other features the Streamliner has over the Terror win it for me. Headphones, Aux in, excellent do with switchable level, pre and post eq, etc... If you can find one I would definitely try it out. If you want to hear what the di sounds like check out my bands work in progress page on soundcloud...search for Guitarmaggedon and listen to "Simmer"

I have a TC RH750 which I use for home practice as well as live. I don't think I've ever even heard the fan switch on while playing at home, and don't know whether this is because the fan is ultra quiet or simply that it has never needed to switch itself on at home, but I suspect the latter as the unit still feels amazingly cool to the touch even after several hours switched on.

Overdrive at ultra-low volume is also no problem thanks to the 'TubeTone' dial - crazy distortion without annoying people in the next room, let alone the next house.

And it has a fantastic DI socket built in, and it even has a feature that allows you to play along silently using headphones to your iPod/phone.

Oh and contrary to what the professional TC knockers on this forum will no doubt be on in a minute to tell you, it sounds great in a live mix too.