Why become a member? ×

Please help

JJW

I have just seen this on eBay:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=Bg&icep_item=221482319976&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

It's not a really good quality of bass, I know but for some reason I really like it. Not any other iceman basses, this one specifically. Anyway I miss out on it on eBay and I just wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get one custom made like this or where I can get this specific one, with same wood, colour, fret less and so on.
Thanks
Josh

[quote name='JJW' timestamp='1405461574' post='2502202']
Yeah, I know but they don't do the specific details I want like the finish and the rounded off edges.
[/quote]

You're looking at a custom build then I'm afraid. Hope you've got deep pockets!

Another alternative is contact the original bass's seller on eBay, find out who bought it and offer to buy it off them for more than they paid...

Edited by Bigwan

It's looking like i will have to spend big money on it now, I tried to contact him before it sold about a couple of things and he didn't bother replying so I guess he won't now.

And Geoff you were probably joking but where do you live because I am getting a bit desperate so will definitely do that.

No, it's in Motherwell - £129.99 - painted black with a side view of a skull - you could probably find a pic of one on Google.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Unfinished-Poplar-Iceman-PJ-Bass-A27-/301197636044?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4620c731cc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Unfinished-Poplar-Iceman-P-Bass-P-Pick-Up-A23-/291148873162?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43c9d33dca

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

I'm pretty sure the Ebay one started life painted & bound, like the one in Geoff's pic. Although not necessarily with a skull.

A bit of careful work with a heat gun would probably take off the finish & binding, then you'd just have to round off the top edges with sandpaper, then either wax or lacquer the wood.

I think that looks great with a natural finish.

Jon.

Is that your Iceman bass or is it a picture from the shop?

And I think it did aswell, but I can't find any cheap normal ones so I like the sound of the one Geoff has found.

Also does anyone know how to get frets taken out professionally, so it becomes a fret less neck?

Josh

Edited by JJW

That was a pic I found on Google, as suggested.

Any decent luthier will defret the neck - in fact, defretting is fairly easy if you have the right tools & take your time - what is more difficult is filling in the slots left over, cos if you don't the neck ends up like a banana (eventually).

I'd buy one of those unfinished bodies & get a fretles Fender-style neck to fit it. Bit of work, sanding, routing the edges, oiling, waxing & doing the electrics & Bob's you Auntie!!!!

:)

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

I would do that but I like the pickups like the matte black one you showed me a picture of and not if the ones with the plain bodies.

BTW thanks for the help everyone!!

Edited by JJW