Why become a member? ×

SOLD Wizard Eighty-Fours

got a pair of eighty fours to go in my hohner but as the truss rods broke and i've just ordered a new precision i'm looking to see if there is any interest. Got to remove them form the bass but they will come with the original box. Had less than 10 hours use and are in great condition.

These are brilliant, high output pups and there are lots of favourable reviews of them on the the site.

I'll get some photos up if there is interest.

Edited by sk8

[quote name='jono b' post='245548' date='Jul 22 2008, 05:28 PM']I bought a set of Wizard 84s from Dr. Dave, and they're great pickups, I thoroughly recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade their J-type bass.[/quote]

+10000

I'm potentially interested!!

Basically, I love the sound of my US Jazz, but I'm having issues with the raised pole-pieces becoming sharp and cutting my fingers. I'm looking for some pickups that will give me a similar tone, but with pole-pieces flush with their covers. Are the Wizard as such? or are they raised a little?. Maybe some pictures almost flat on would help.

I've also heard that these are darker sounding than the 64's!? Is there still a fair amount of growl / honk from them too?
What kind of sounds do you get when each of the pickups are solo'd etc?

Thanks a lot
Si

Edited by Sibob

They're flat pole pieces, not staggered with raised A and D pole pieces. I'm not near my bass at the minute, but from what I remember, the pole pieces are flush with the pickup cover.

They're pretty growly IMO, suitable for rock/blues/metal etc.

I've had a quick word with Andy @ Wizard, and he says that his pole-pieces are slightly raised, not as much as my fender ones, but still raised. I'm also pretty certain that it's the 64's I'm after tone wise now. So next week I'm gonna order some of those with flush pole-pieces as a custom order!

Good luck with selling these!!
They sound like awesome pickups at a wicked price, just not quite right for me at the moment!

Cheers

Si