Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Bastard

Pow_22

Badboy1984 - you can hear the difference, the LB550 sound isn't a sweet and saturated because of that lack of a valve power stage, but it's pretty close, and the tone is certainly of the same character because of that preamp.

My guitarist and I have some duplicate kit between us. I had an idea to plug the LB30 into the first 2x10, then run the DI out into the Hartke driving the second 2 x 10 and the 1 x 15. Never got round to it though, but that would have been the rig of doom.

I've tried the LB30 on a gig last night when we did the sound check. We played in a bat which is a small venue in my eyes. I plugged my bass in the high input to lower the gain on the pre section. My bass was passive. I had the volume crack to 3 o'clock position and no sign of dirt on the tone, which is a good thing. Our band doesn't play too loud and the volume I get on the LB30 probably just be enough but any higher the LB30 will struggle. I played the amp via a Trace Elliot 1153 cab.

I personally think if I run the LB30 on a 2x12 bareface or some kind of 4x10 cab it will be alright to gig. If the venue have PA to DI the bass, my LB30 will definite be enough to gig with.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1405284919' post='2500495']

Also, before you stick it in to the PA, buy [url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xlr+Attenuator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=vfHCU_KvFMXR8geZg4GoCQ#channel=sb&q=xlr+Attenuator&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=shop"]an attenuator[/url] or it will be cliping all the way to a fuzzy mush. I have 2 x 20dB

[/quote]

Can you recommend any particular attenuator? Would one 40db be better than two 20's?

Thanks
Steve

I play one through an Ampeg 4x10 and it is most definitely louder than my previous 250watt solid state ampeg (something? I cant remember the model! Something with rack ears...) I think the secret for getting a good sound is to hit the front of it with a clean boost (or play an active bass perhaps?) Not enough to get over drive, but just a good volume jump. I play in a wedding band and at church with mine and it never struggles against a loud drummer and 2 30 watt valve orange guitar amps! My only complaint is that carrying a 4x10 to gigs for £100 a night is a pain... Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a MarkBass combo.

I recently done a gig without an amp and only using my MXR M80 bass DI direct to the PA (without sub). The bass sounded pretty decent, I much prefer having an amp. I guess if I run my LB30 to a small 2x10 or 2x12 as stage monitor and DI the bass to the PA for some extra boost, I would be happy with the result. For some reasons apart from the drummer, the guitarist and keyboard player want to hear my bass, so having the bass via the monitor would do they good.

I'm consider shifting my Trace GP11 amp.

[quote name='mattyb' timestamp='1407419334' post='2520299']
I play one through an Ampeg 4x10 and it is most definitely louder than my previous 250watt solid state ampeg (something? I cant remember the model! Something with rack ears...) I think the secret for getting a good sound is to hit the front of it with a clean boost (or play an active bass perhaps?) Not enough to get over drive, but just a good volume jump. I play in a wedding band and at church with mine and it never struggles against a loud drummer and 2 30 watt valve orange guitar amps! My only complaint is that carrying a 4x10 to gigs for £100 a night is a pain... Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a MarkBass combo.
[/quote]

How do you use yours LB30? I start using my on the high input to pad down the gain so when push high volume it won't overdrive too much. If I use the low input and push pass 12 o'clock it will start to get more distortion.

What will a clean boost do?

CTM100 is a good choice. The LB30 is suppose to be a studio amp just like many 30-50watt practice amp suppose to be practice amp.

If some people can get away using a 50watt practice combo for gig then I can't see why the LB30 can't be use in those situation.

Using a LB30 on a gig is a tricky one. First you need a decent sensitive cab to run it. I would suggest a good 2x12 for portability.

Also if the bass will be DI then using LB30 is not really a problem consider your band don't play loud on stage. I have gig with a 50watt orange practice combo before (not my mine) but the bass was DI. I'm sure the LB30 will be way louder then the orange 50watt combo .....

[quote name='Sercet' timestamp='1407417425' post='2520281']
Can you recommend any particular attenuator? Would one 40db be better than two 20's?
[/quote]I went with 2x20dB, which has been ok recording to date. I cant remember who I bought it from, any on that link will be fine, just check the returns policy (or buy from the UK for distance selling regs).

I also bought some small XLR's to reduce the tension on the socket it plugs in to.

Edited by Thurbs