Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaguar HB bass

dazza14

A few months go I finally got around to trying a Squier Jaguar HB bass in Dawsons in Reading. I already liked how it looked and because I often have my right hand above the position of where the humbucker sits I thought it might be ideal for me, so I tried it and was blown away by how playable and comfortable it was. I play a VM Jazz and have done for years but the Jag gave a much deeper sound which I liked. My query is this though, although these are available on the usual online music stores they rarely come up on e-bay, Gumtree or on the 'for sale' section of this website, does this mean that people aren't buying them or when people buy them, they keep them?[attachment=165860:ProductDetailImage.jpg]

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1404123585' post='2489412']
I tried it and was blown away by how playable and comfortable it was.
[/quote]
You should have just bought it.

IME Squiers(or indeed any of the "buget" instruments) can vary quite a lot between individual examples of the same model and it makes a lot of sense to try them in person, and if you find one that really sings for you, obvious course of action is obvious.

I would guess that most Squiers sold from retailers are P's bought by teenagers who want to start punk bands based on Squier's roster of endorsees, and that regardless of how good the Jaguar HB is they probably don't sell many.

I'm stuck in a rut with regards to my buying basses, I adore my Squire VM Jazz and buying another bass would mean i'm playing my Jazz less so I tend to 'admire from a far', but my fretless gets played when I need the sound of a fretless and I thought the Jag would b a great addition to my meagre collection because I hve nothing else like it... you're right, I should have left the shop with it under my arm and a smug smile on my face. But the final decision would also be based on the colour, I like the red... I like the silver... ooh decisions, decisions, I think i'll be buying one before Christmas!

Hmmm, I'm very tempted by one of these too. But long term for me it'd have to have a neck with a maple fingerboard (an d a body re-finish in a blue or green). Presumably any "stock" P or J bass neck would/should fit? Anybody?

Phil

Get one if these sooner rather than later if you want one. They've been around a while and are discounted pretty heavily vs their launch price (available online at £199ish!) which suggests to me that Fender are helping their retailers clear the decks before something new comes along.

Yes, it's active. Not sure how it compares to a Stingray 'cause I've never owned one and not played one for years, but I can report that the HB is certainly not short of nasal bite. Seems pretty versatile too but you can never really tell I reckon until you hear a bass used for real in a band context. Have a rehearsal next Wednesday so I'll report back.

P