Why become a member? ×

Precision bass 57 re-issue: Fullerton VS JV0 Squier?

Paul S

I was reading the couple of threads in the classifieds here about the 80s Fender Precision Fullerton '57 re-issue, and how they were a bit special. I wondered how they compared and in what way they differed from the JV0 Squier Precision '57 re-issue, which are also considered to be a bit special. Where they were made, of course, but beyond that?

Ta!

Hi Paul,

The following info may be helpful...

I have an early 90s MIJ '57 reissue, and a few months ago I compared it to a fullerton reissue '57 that was for sale for £1200 at the gallery in camden.

The fullerton was a lovely bass, and I would say a better finish on the neck than on my bass, but other than that they looked and sounded very similar. I paid £500 for mine and whilst it's not a JV bass, it's still japanese, so possibly relevant to your question. I would check one out if one turns up, I won't sell mine, it does the job so well!

However you won't lose money on a fullerton and if you find one you really like... A great bass for the price.

James

Hi James

Thanks for that, interesting to note how you compared the two.

I am fortunate enough to own an '82 Fender logo JV Squier '57 re-issue which I absolutely adore so I know exactly how you feel about yours. I suppose my main query would be, other than one was made in Japan and one in Fullerton, what would be the main differences eg in components etc.

I haven't played any other than my '57 Fullerton RI so can't give much of a comparison.
What I would say is my Fullerton has a very shallow neck profile unlike anything I've ever seen on another P. It also has 'sharp' edges on the fretboard rather than a smoothed 'rounded' fretboard edge. I guess this is because they were made to be as true to the originals as possible.

Hi Paul, I had two JV0 P Basses - these basses are serious in every sense of the word I've also had 2 x '83 JV P Basses - they are not even close to the JV0's. The typical Basswood body on the later JV's aren't as resonant as the Sen on the JV0, the necks are slightly different too. The Basswood JV's are light weight, both of my JV0's were 9.5lbs, too heavy for my dodgy spine so sadly they got sold.

I never compared one with a Fullerton, but thought I'd chip in with some JV0 love.

Yes, no harm in spreading a little JV0 lurve about. I think mine is a whisker lighter, pretty much dead on 9lbs. There is something about the tone that is just rather special - sort of creamy and woody, not hard and woody. Creamy wood? And the way it all fits together - so simple yet perfect.

You'd sort of expect them to be rather similar - both being the '57 re-issue model, both at the higher end of the scale. I was just wondering if anyone had played or owned both and was able to make a stronger comparison. Whether the Fullerton one was worth the extra they seem to command and, if so, why? Or if it is the headstock thing again.