Why become a member? ×

Recomend me a micro head

Pow_22

I have a Streamliner 600 which is a great warm amp and have just acquired a TH350 for smaller gigs. Loving both of them even though I'm still getting the sound on the TH350 at the mo.
Used the 350 for all this weekend's gigs and it was sounding nice.
Think I should really be changing the Elixirs to get it fully sorted. Currently in the do I need to change them or not window

If micro/lightwieght and 'the sound or your bass' are the pre-requisites then try an Acoustic Image head.. not cheap, but try one and you'll get why... I use the Clarus (300W into 2 Ohms minimum, 200w into 4 and 120 into 8: 5lbs) with an EA Wizzy 110 for rehearsals/practice/studio and the Focus 2 (600W 4 ohms: 5lbs) with a Sound Tech NS410S (4Ohms: 103dB eff,) for bigger stuff.
Hell in a handbag....

I'd recommend a GK MB500, as that's what use at the mo. It is plenty loud, sounds great and has some really good features (Boost, Contour Section). There could also be a case for sticking with your RH450. TC make some cracking gear, IMO, from the budget stuff upwards. Guess it's just what you like.

• 2 weeks later...

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Right then….[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Many more suggestions and research later im kinda still a bit stuck. I worked on the RH450 a lot more and have now got a much more satisfying tone from it after messing with the Shift button. I have a nice fat growly tone…..BUT… I still cant help think id get closer to my sound with one of the following:-[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ampeg SVT 7 Pro[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Genz Benz Streamliner 600[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Orange Terror Bass[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ashdown Spyder (maybe my least preferred option on list – certainly lighter than my SVT but not a micro head).[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive accepted im not going to get a proper all-valve sound from something not all-valve but the more I read on the GB Streamliner the more it sounds tempting. Real valve pre-amp and some fangle-dangle technology adding proper valve type heft to each note sounds great.[/color][/size][/font]

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]The SVT7 has lots of good reviews in regards to getting that valvey Ampegy tone and also has the real valve pre-amp. [/font][/color][/size]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The Orange looks great and again has the valve pre-amp but the few times ive played one its been a bit buzzy and almost trying too hard to get a valve sound (if that makes sense), it seems to concentrate on just one aspect of the valve sound – the breakup, to me the valve tone is much more than that.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Budget wise I think I could get circa £350 for the TC and so the GB would be within budget as would the SVT7 and the Orange. The spyders are available for less than budget also.[/color][/size][/font]