Why become a member? ×

New Pickup day and a question ?

Hi just got my Artec EBC4-CR today, I'm very happy assuming it works, touch wood.

I find it peculiar that the wires come out of that brass looking plate in the bottom which will not allow it to sit flush in the cavity, I assumed they would come out of the side.

I am fitting it in the body of my VM P bass, (neck psoition) my plan is to mark out the area that needs to sit in the body then use a combination of drilling holes and sharp chisels to make a cavity and a channel to the existing wiring channel ( if you get my drift).

so seeing as i have that lead at the bottom coming out of the brass, should I make the whole cavity a few mil deeper to allow for this then mount the pickup on some rubber foam, or just make the cavity a bit deeper just where the wire is so it does not get squashed. This is my first project so any suggestions on how to proceed would be gratefully accepted. best wishes for the weekend ....Paul ps is it regular to use the foam for mounting all pickups, thanks

Hi

Yes - quite normal to mount bass pickups on stiff foam, then you can adjust the screw depth to raise or lower the pickup to the correct distance from the strings. Sometimes, the foam packaging the pickups come in is usable ( if it came in packaging) although often that is too soft.

Andy

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1403697778' post='2485384']
I initially used springs on the screws instead of neoprene when I built my Fretless 'P' bitzer. It made the pickup microphonic. I then chopped up a cheapo ikea mousemat and used a few layers under the pickup instead & it was much better
[/quote] excellent so many uses for a mouse mat.

I have heard that about the springs I think you have to put some sort of plastic tube round them