Why become a member? ×

Can I use my pedalboard with an analog synth?

Marsy

Hey guys,

Just as the title suggests really.
Yesterday I bought an old synth (ARP Quartet) and I would like to be able to use my pedalboard to further enhance its sounds (mainly fuzz, maybe some modulation).

I am wondering, is this a good or bad idea? does it pose a danger to either my pedals or the synth?

Many thanks in advance,
Stephen

AFAIK, if done carefully, this should work in some or many cases.
The synth wouldn't be hurt if you do it wrongly; the effect pedal might be hurt.

There's lot of pedal effects still in existence that expect a passive pickup signal, and have the sensitivity and input impedance to fit. Many would even expect the low level of a guitar signal, and even the amplitude of a bass signal might be overdoing things, let alone amplitude heavy line level signals from synths. Shoving the synth signal through them at super low volume will make it work, but will probably sound terrible, amongst other things probably due to impedance mismatch.
That said, it is exactly what I did through the seventies, and I still am alive, I believe.

More and more effects however are built to take a line level signal, especially rack mounted ones.

The effect itself on a synth sound however is a different matter. A chorus is one thing, but a fuzz?
You'd probably need to find the right (less overtone rich) synth sounds to fit it.

Hey tractor,

Thanks for your input.
That's kind of what I was expecting..
I'd need to be sure before I experiment coz I can't afford to fry and pedals that's for sure!

I would like to try out a few fuzz pedals, just see how they sound.. I'd also really like to stick a reverb on but I'm very wary about my iron ether - Nimbus taking the synths input..

How about using the SVT as an amp, no issues there??

Thanks again

You might want to attenuate the output of the synth just to be on the safe side. My old Kawai had two output jacks; one for -10dB, and one for +4dB. Erring on the side of caution I always used the -10dB one, and kept the volume quite low on the synth.

The signal voltage is different from the power supply voltage though, too much PSU voltage and you will definitely, 100% guaranteed fry at least a part of the pedal. Too much signal voltage (going down the jack lead from the synth to the pedal) won't damage anything, but will just sound sh*t. Or not, depends on what sort of sound you're after. Most FX pedals have a high input impedance (typically 1MΩ), so there are unlikely to be any problems on that score too.

Using an SVT as a keyboard amp shouldn't be an issue - bass amps tend to make great keyboard amps because they (and their associated speaker cabinets) are designed to handle the low frequencies put out by basses. You may experience a little bit of the extreme top end missing, but a cabinet with a tweeter will be your best friend here.

Using a guitar amp as a keyboard amp isn't really recommended. Not because it's dangerous, but because guitar amps are designed with a particular sound in mind, and the tone shaping part of the guitar amps are generally engineered to flatter the fairly dull sound of an electric guitar. Also they can't take the extreme low frequency output of bass guitars (or keyboards), and will distort at much lower volumes. They might also (if you're really lucky) start walking as the entire cab vibrates - good fun!

In short, go for it. :)

Thanks a lot for your help guys! It's much appreciated..

I should probably add, I damaged my Iron Ether - Nimbus last year just experimenting with a (digital) roland - Juno D and had to send it to Taylor in the USA for repair.

I think I'll shoot Taylor an email and ask his opinion on the nimbus. The rest like my fuzzes and maxon analog delay I think I'll just give them a go if no one advises otherwise..
Also I have a Foxrox - Octron 2, I wonder if i can play with that one maybe.. Again it's an analog pedal.

Regarding the output impedance of the synth, there are two outputs on the back.. I will attach some info regarding these below..

Arp - Quartet:
In the back you find the attached power cable and the mains on/off switch.
And of cause an output: one labeled "high", the other labeled "low". The later is for mic inputs. The higher output is for line level inputs of mixers and amps. Both of these are 1/4" (6.3 mm) sockets.

What Paul says. I can't remember ever having seen one of those on a synth, but I guess it's a cool Siel idea that was already present on the original Siel Orchestra. Dunno really, but Siel did have some weird, wonderful little ideas once in a while.

So we're saying just do it?! Ha ha I'm still a bit scared to be honest!

I messaged Taylor regarding the iron ether and this is what he said...

Hi Stephen, there's no danger of damaging the pedal, but the output of the synth is probably loud enough to overdrive the Nimbus's input. From some internet pics it does appear that the Quartet has an output volume slider so you should be able to get the levels right by using that to attenuate before the pedals. The high and low outs are probably referring to output impedance rather than high/low amplitude, so which you use probably won't matter to the Nimbus (though different impedances may affect the way your distortion pedals sound). Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Taylor

What a helpful guy! = )

Thanks again,
Stephen

Just noticed this thread, but I thought I'd comment based on my own experiences of running synths and drum machines through guitar effect pedals. I've put them through various Boss, Electro Harmonix and MXR pedals without issues and I'm aware of many bands both professional and amateur that do the same. It's particularly popular in the "power electronics" sub-genre of industrial music, where they use some pretty harsh and distorted sounds without seeming to cause damage to their pedals.

As to Basstractor's curiosity about using a fuzz on a synth, a lot of people use fuzz pedals on "squelchy" acid synth sounds - Novation's rack mounted recreation of Roland's TB-303 even came with an overdrive and distortion effect built in.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1403472928' post='2483088']
It's particularly popular in the "power electronics" sub-genre of industrial music,
[...]
Novation's rack mounted recreation of Roland's TB-303 even came with an overdrive and distortion effect built in.
[/quote]

Thanks, mate. I had no idea.
It wasn't curiosity so much, as I've used my Big Muff on synths for like 40 years and liking totally out there sounds, but more about being careful with writing "just do it!!!!!!!!" on a forum where people are not to be expected to have the same mindset or reference frame - especially a bass forum where thousands of people prefer an SVT over an EBS.

But yeah.
Novation, eh? I feel the NAS...

Edited by BassTractor

Thanks for your help guys!

The synth arrived today and I've had a little go on it through a reverb tank and it sounded great!

Gonna take it to the rehearsal room this week and smash it through the pedalboard = )

Cheers!