Why become a member? ×

Need advice about recording (again) sampling idea/app related..

What I would like to do , in a nutshell, is to record some bass onto iPad , or Mac and be able to play that loop with apps such as maschine/launch pad .
Do I need to buy a sampler? I have many apps on iPad . I also have akai Mac keyboard
With pads. I want to do quick and easy loops.
Need to just play the bass, rather than get put off by thinking of GarageBand etc. all the time .

Sounds bizarre.
Let me know ;)
Cheers

In a word: no, you don't need a sampler [i](ok, that's six words).[/i]

You need something like an [url="http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/"]iRig[/url] to connect your bass to an iPad; or you need an audio interface to connect to your computer ([url="http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2"]this one[/url] is cheap and very cheerful).

You can then record your bass playing using an iPad app (such as [url="http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubeipad/"]Amplitube[/url]) or using software on your Mac (such as GarageBand). Don't write-off GarageBand as being complicated. It's actually very easy, you just need to spend about an hour getting used to it. YouTube tutorials are a great help in that regard.

Once you have your loop recorded, you can play it and add drums / other instruments using whatever app or software you choose, including Maschine. I think you can actually sample your bass playing directly into Maschine... but you'll need an audio interface to do that.

It's not uncommon to suffer from mild technophobia ;) But I assure that what you're trying to achieve is very straightforward. It only seems complicated because it's unfamiliar. And it'll only become familiar through investing a little time in learning the ropes. People advertise 'plug an play' solutions, but whatever route you choose it's unavoidable that you're going to have to learn something new. Personally, I'd recommend buying an audio interface and using GarageBand, unless portability is a big issue. Apps are great for noodling around (I have Amplitube myself), but you'll soon run into limitations that you won't find with desktop software.

If you need help, drop me a message.

Edited by Skol303

Thanks skol. I do indeed have irig(&garageband iPad ). I have looked at GarageBand iPad .
The only thing I'm not sure of is how to extend the length of time recording on it. .it seems very short.
I do have the free version of amplitube.
Also audiobus, loopy hd( which I find fiddly).
Will pm later i cheers;)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1402673011' post='2475869']
The only thing I'm not sure of is how to extend the length of time recording on it. .it seems very short.
[/quote]

When you have a song open in Garageband on iPad at the far right of the screen (at the same level as the playhead) is a +
Tap this & you'll get a menu that allows you to set the length of your recording.