Why become a member? ×

Big, annoying bass issues ($$$$)

codhead

Right guys, I'm back!

Basically, I sent it to a bass tech dude, and the problem was my input: as I had low output pickups (on my jazz), it meant that having my input at half way was really not gonna cut through. The amp itself was displaying the full 600w too. So, before I got a tech 21 Sansamp VT Bass, I had to keep the input on full and only then did I really get the rumble that was needed.

Obviously, my claim about it not sounding big enough when both input/output were on full was clearly not true, it did sound big, but not clear: that was because I had my EQ on stupid settings, making it sound terrible and peaking my cabinet.

Now I have a preamp pedal, however, everything is hunky dory. As the VT bass acts as a limiter too, it means that my drive isn't peaking everywhere, which was one problem at higher volumes.

So now everything works just fine: i sound massive, and I still have spare headroom. I just wish that my cab wasn't so bloody heavy!

Moral of the story: get a preamp if you have an Ashdown MAG (and low output pickups).

Josh

Edited by codhead