Why become a member? ×

What's going on?

spinynorman

A few years ago I bought a 1978 Gibson Ripper. Though I liked it to play - the neck is perfect for me - I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. Then I discovered the bridge pickup had only one coil wired in and the polarity was reversed. So I fixed that, tried different strings, eq, effects, but still couldn't get a sound I liked. So it's been hanging on the wall for a couple of years looking mean and resentful. A few weeks ago I thought I'd give it another chance, and to my surprise, it sounds fantastic. I've gigged it and recorded with it, and it's been brilliant. So I'm very happy, but I have no idea how that could happen.

• 2 weeks later...

It could be pixies. I sometimes leave the window open.

At some point during its period of rest I remember I mucked about with the pickup heights. I've tried that several times before and it didn't help, but maybe this time I found that magic spot. So that's another bass where I can't adjust or change anything, including the strings, in case it all goes to ratshit again. Fortunately string height and intonation doesn't bother me that much.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1402431649' post='2473519']
It could be pixies. I sometimes leave the window open.

At some point during its period of rest I remember I mucked about with the pickup heights. I've tried that several times before and it didn't help, but maybe this time I found that magic spot. So that's another bass where I can't adjust or change anything, including the strings, in case it all goes to ratshit again. Fortunately string height and intonation doesn't bother me that much.
[/quote]

Measure everything, now, while it sounds great. (Take photos :) ) Then you might have a chance at getting that sound back, later.

Edited by alyctes