Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help choosing my first Bass stack.

Wayward-Wanderer

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='246036' date='Jul 23 2008, 12:55 PM']Not really. If you trawl through the back pages and can remember what went down on bass world there is some gear that strongly divide opinions and some that nobody has a bad word for. Trace Elliot is marmite but I have never really read anyone with a downer on Peavey, its just not the most transparent of gear (and f***ing heavy). Likewise EBS, Gallien Gruger, Eden, Mark Bass etc etc, never seen a bad word for the amps although some dont rate Mark Bass cabs (including me). Surprisingly there are lots that dont rate Ampeg.[/quote]

Youv'e heard me put a downer on Peavey cos Ive stated in this thread among others that I don't like them. As for EBS, Eden and Mark Bass etc its unlikely that they will be slated as much because for one: they are not used as much. The more lower & middle priced cabs and amps are going to sell a lot more than the higher end of the market so their are bound to be more comments about them. Secondly people who spend a lot of money on equipment are going to be more reluctant to admit they don't like them.

I am not saying for one minute that Ashdown and Hartke are better than GK, Mark Bass, EBS, Eden or anything else. I am merely pointing out that its down to personal choice what you like the sound of.

as for trawling through posts to see what other people think of them, thats pointless as I want my sound and not theirs

[quote name='ianrunci' post='246251' date='Jul 23 2008, 05:06 PM']Youv'e heard me put a downer on Peavey cos Ive stated in this thread among others that I don't like them. As for EBS, Eden and Mark Bass etc its unlikely that they will be slated as much because for one: they are not used as much. The more lower & middle priced cabs and amps are going to sell a lot more than the higher end of the market so their are bound to be more comments about them. Secondly people who spend a lot of money on equipment are going to be more reluctant to admit they don't like them.

I am not saying for one minute that Ashdown and Hartke are better than GK, Mark Bass, EBS, Eden or anything else. I am merely pointing out that its down to personal choice what you like the sound of.

as for trawling through posts to see what other people think of them, thats pointless as I want my sound and not theirs[/quote]
agree with you totally ,youre not going to spend loads of money on a rig and then slag it off.not seen many bad reviews on harmony central apart from the cheap gear!must say theres an awful lot of people who love marmite!

Ian,

stick with your own perception of sound. I agree fully with your sentiment because at the end of the day your ears are your ambassadors and will guide you appropriately! its your choice and what you are looking for...no-one else needs be involved unless...they have constructive, shall we say criticism? which could enhance your current set-up.

I do believe though; When building a cab, technically speaking, calculation for acoustics, audio values, speaker properties and dimension are important but for the most part, our ears are not capable of hearing all the corresponding frequencies which come out of our selected boxes, whether these be 'boutique' or standard gear.

So many folk on all the various forums have bought gear they believe to be the biggest and best yet have parted with it so fast it makes you wonder?!

who makes the best amps?
who makes the best cabs?
who makes the best basses?
who makes the best effects?
who makes the best leads?

who cares! we have a lot of fun trying it all out!

My gear is just a workmanlike set-up - just does it, that's all and that's all I require.

buying gear is very personal to the player and the type of sound/music style they are trying to achieve.

I my 28 years of playing I will admit to having umpteen nonsense basses, dodgy amps and cab combination's, but they all got me through various stages in my career and development regretting none of it while simply enjoying bass.

I love going to live gigs, observing who uses what and what they do to squeeze the best out of what they have.

Ampeg rules!! lol. :)

andy

Thanks for all the help guys, and having an arguement on my behalf :huh:
But as it looks My local shop has no Hartke cabs to try ;..(
I think i'm going to go for Ashdown ABM, I don't find them wooly, the stack i was trying rattled the ceiling so much 2 of the tiles came off.
I know I'm still a noob, but i think that might be a good measure of good stack, or a good measure of bad contruction :)

Atm I'm looking at buying a Ashdown 2x12 from ages ago and a ABM 500 head. My plan is to buy this and then add a ABM 210/410 or ABM 115.
For those that use 12" speakers, what would be the best option for a more overall sound?

Unfortunately the sound in the shop is no guide to the sound when gigged. I had been using an EBS Neo 212 with an HD350 for the last few years and it was well capable of drowning out an unmic'ed drummer on its own. And if the drum's get Mic'ed then the bass normally gets DI'd and the rig becomes stage monitoring.

At the risk of being controversial the stack is as much about image as sound.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='246832' date='Jul 24 2008, 01:25 PM']Unfortunately the sound in the shop is no guide to the sound when gigged. I had been using an EBS Neo 212 with an HD350 for the last few years and it was well capable of drowning out an unmic'ed drummer on its own. And if the drum's get Mic'ed then the bass normally gets DI'd and the rig becomes stage monitoring.

At the risk of being controversial the stack is as much about image as sound.[/quote]

very true!

check all the music stuff on tv at the moment - most bass rigs I see are ampeg classic/vr/v4b and 8x10. It is a good looking rig!

andy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='254155' date='Aug 4 2008, 09:47 AM']Funny thing - discussion of this thread is still going on over on Finnbass :)[/quote]

Whislt your back in the thread B_F, i noticed you have a Shuttle 6.0.

I messaged WoT to ask him about Schroeder cabs and comparisions between LM II/Shuttle 6.0. Have you any experience with the LM II or MB in general?

P.S I won't ask you which one i should buy! :huh:

I had a cab shootout at Bass Direct with my old EBS vs Genz Benz (GBE750 and NeoX112T) and Markbass/Bergantino (think is was LM2 and F1 into HT/EX112) and they all sounded pretty damn good. We did a bit of mixing and matching as well but not really an A/B. The thing that put me off the Bergs was the weight and the weight of the GBE750 put me off as well - so getting a GBE750 sound without the weight seemed like a great idea so I ordered the Shuttle.

Mark would be happly to lay on a demo and A/B if you can get to Kenilworth.