Why become a member? ×

Synth and FX Loop Question!

Ben Jamin

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This might sound like a pretty dim question, sorry![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm looking into buying a synth next month to fulfill some baseline duties - band's gone a bit electronic recently![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Anyway - I've never used the FX loop on an amp before - so I was wondering if plugging said synthesiser (mono output) into the Return input would allow me to play both bass guitar and synth simultaneously from the same amp? Bass going through the amp's pre-amp and synth just going straight to the power-amp? I have an Ampeg PF-500 which has an FX loop level which I could use to get unity gain between the two instruments?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Would that work or am I being silly?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If not I can plug into the second input of my VT bass Deluxe, but then I'd have to dance on my pedalboard to switch instruments [/font][/color] :([color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

If you plug an instrument into the FX loop you are bypassing the preamp and EQ section, so you won't get a lot of signal. [size=4]If you plug the synth into the VT Bass and then into the FX Loop you may get a better result but you'd need [/size][size=4]a second VT Bass (or similar) for the bass, unless you can do without the VT for the bass which you would then plug into the preamp on the PF as usual...[/size]

[size=4]I don't [i]think [/i]you're going to hurt anything by trying it... but probably sensible to wait for a few more replies, I'd say! :D[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401445610' post='2463648']
If you plug an instrument into the FX loop you are bypassing the preamp and EQ section, so you won't get a lot of signal
[/quote]

Well that's a spanner in the works! I had it figured it'd still be at the same instrument level, since the FX loop send is at instrument level - then I could use the FX volume control essentially as an input gain - the only place it gets amplified is at the power amp section after the pre-amp/FX loop.

I really don't know though, Ampeg PF-500s like mine apparently don't have the most reliable power-amp, I'll definitely wait and see what everyone says before blowing things up! :lol:

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1401460693' post='2463870']
Well that's a spanner in the works! I had it figured it'd still be at the same instrument level, since the FX loop send is at instrument level - then I could use the FX volume control essentially as an input gain - the only place it gets amplified is at the power amp section after the pre-amp/FX loop.
[/quote]

Not necessarily... I don't know what the output level from your synth is like - I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of how it would be with a passive bass, i.e. no increase in signal from the preamp, but if the synth is hot you may be OK.
I'd say try and and see. :)*

*Having read BassTractor's post below V V maybe not then, eh? :D

Edited by discreet

Until someone with more specific knowledge chimes in, here's my personal AFAIK:
First, you need to identify whether the preamp's signal can be mixed with the FX signal or not, on this specific amp. I think most bass amps disconnect the preamp from the power stage when the FX loop is used, but there are amps that will proudly do it. There's a word for it that I can't recollect right now, but the function has been written about on BC.

If it [b]can[/b], you are taking risks by mixing in a hot synth. The synth signal would enter the preamp from the wrong side, and might blow it up.

If it [b]can not[/b], then you can use an external mixer that mixes the preamp out signal with the synth, before feeding the mixed signal to the Return. Mind you, the mixer must cater for these assumedly different types of signal, as I sense there are voltage and especially impedance mismatches.
But these things can be found out about, and maybe the pre out and the synth are not that different after all.

The mixer does not have to be expensive or complicated, so you might be able to find a simple and cheap one. Personally, I use an 80s multitrack recorder with built-in mixer for these things. That mixer will take both microphones and line level signals and probably other signals as well.

Edited by BassTractor