Why become a member? ×

Squier Mike Dirnt

uncle psychosis

The Mike Dirnt has a thick "C" shape profile but it's reasonably narrow at the nut (42mm). My Squier Vintage Modified P is a "C" profile and 41.3mm at the nut. Both have the same fingerboard radius of 9.5" and medium jumbo frets.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1400437418' post='2453870']
The Mike Dirnt has a thick "C" shape profile but it's reasonably narrow at the nut (42mm).
[/quote]

42mm narrow? :P

I believe the changes from the old model to the current one were purely cosmetic. The star from the body moved to the neck plate and the pickguards were updated.

I noticed earlier that Thomann have a stonking deal on the new white/tort model at about £220 which is only £30 more than an Affinty P! Bargain!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1437908304' post='2829836']
No, never did :-(

I've basically stopped gassing for basses since I bought my G&L. I don't have enough space or enough playing opportunities to try to justify any more!
[/quote]

GAS is a funny thing... I very nearly bought a black/maple Precision last week. But I stopped myself when I realised I've actualy been cutting down and selling things I don't need :lol:
Good on you for not succumbing! :)

I'm moving to a much bigger place in a couple of months. I'm a little worried about what might happened there ;)

I'm trying to rationalise my "collection" and just make sure I have the instruments I really enjoy playing and keeping them in great condition (not so much cosmetically, but in terms of the way they play and sound). I have a new Maruszczyk in order that might just be the end of bass buying for quite some time ;)

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1437909458' post='2829854']
I got rid of the one i had cos the neck was too chunky, it was the original one with the star on the body, i never measured it though.
[/quote]

Really? :blink:
I found it really very slim! (2007 model, star on body). In fact I went through periods of "hmmm, too slim" as I developed a love for Stingray first (wide but shallow) and later Precision necks (wide -43-45mm- and chunkier).
41mm at nut and 21mm deep at first fret, I just measured it...

My Classic 50 Fender precision is 45mm at the nut and about 21mm deep at first fret (hard to measure accurately as it's strung right now).
The Squier CV50 Precision I have is 43mm wide at the nut and 22mm deep at the first fret.
Squier Matt Freeman Precision: 42mm at the nut, 22mm deep at 1st fret

2002 Fender Jazz 75RI, CIJ, 39mm at the nut, 21mm deep at the first fret.

I always felt the Mike Dirnt neck was a bit of a hybrid.

Sometimes the set up affects the whole way a neck feels and can make some big necks feel comfy while other smaller necks can feel bigger than they are.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1437915041' post='2829918']
GAS is a funny thing... I very nearly bought a black/maple Precision last week. But I stopped myself when I realised I've actualy been cutting down and selling things I don't need :lol:
Good on you for not succumbing! :)

I'm moving to a much bigger place in a couple of months. I'm a little worried about what might happened there ;)

I'm trying to rationalise my "collection" and just make sure I have the instruments I really enjoy playing and keeping them in great condition (not so much cosmetically, but in terms of the way they play and sound). I have a new Maruszczyk in order that might just be the end of bass buying for quite some time ;)
[/quote]

To be honest I've even considered selling my backup bass---a yamaha BB414---because I haven't played it in over 6 months. I still like looking at pretty basses on the internet but on the whole I haven't been seriously tempted to buy anything in ages. I even managed to say no to some of the Thomann Deko madness, I just don't see the point in buying a cheapy when I have a much, much better bass to use.

I have been gassing a bit for guitars though---I want a G&L to match my bass---and have been a bit naughty with the pedal buying recently. So I've not gone completely cold turkey :lol: