Why become a member? ×

Effects.

JazzBassfreak

So I'm finally in a band! Woo! And they've pretty much said I get a slot at each gig for a bass solo, which is killer. Now, I have a few effects pedals but I'm looking for a specific sound, which is the reason I'm making this thread. As most of you probably know I'm a massive fan of Jason Newsted, and love the effects sound he has going on in these few solos:

http://youtu.be/r-XpuWzGW44

http://youtu.be/7zgVBNDJimc

http://youtu.be/f34LJdNi7FA

I have a Digitech Bass Synth, a Morely Wah and a Tech 21 Sansamp bass driver. However when I join em all up and have an hour or so and go through all the settings to find something near to, it all sounds pretty naff.

I'm a noob at effects, I've never really used many before, especially at gigs. Can you lovely people lend me a helping hand?

You should ask a mod to move this to the Effects forum where you'll get more responses!

Sounds like a chorus is being used a lot, maybe a reverb too but that just could be the stadium!

Run the Sansamp into the Morley wah. The BSW might not be much use here, but I'd put that first in line. Don't boost the treble/bass/presence too much and go easy on the blend - it's quite a clean sound for the most part with the odd bit of dirt kicked in, but even the dirt sounds like it's blended with a clean signal.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1400332610' post='2452999']
You should ask a mod to move this to the Effects forum where you'll get more responses!

Sounds like a chorus is being used a lot, maybe a reverb too but that just could be the stadium!

Run the Sansamp into the Morley wah. The BSW might not be much use here, but I'd put that first in line. Don't boost the treble/bass/presence too much and go easy on the blend - it's quite a clean sound for the most part with the odd bit of dirt kicked in, but even the dirt sounds like it's blended with a clean signal.
[/quote]

Seems such a hard sound to replicate /:

I am no expert on using effects, because basically I don't really use any nowadays except a bit of compression , but I'm pretty sure in the last two clips there Jason is just using a bit of chorus and maybe a bit of reverb. Essentially, it's a combination of time-delay based effects processing. A subtle bit of chorus or gentle flanging will get you a decent approximation. It's a common trick used to make a solo bass sound a bit "bigger" and more expansive.

Chorus on a bass guitar is also a bit of a dated sound nowadays, and has been for a long time ( since the 1980's , in fact ) , to be honest with you. Well out of fashion, but for a solo you can l probably get away with it :D .

Rather than trying to copy Jason's sound on the first clip., why not just try and find a setting on your Digitech bass synth that you like the sound of that will compliment what you are playing for your solo, and, very importantly, that you can access easily during a gig. Playing live can be challenging enough without making extra problems for yourself with very complex arrangements of effects . I would strongly recommend keeping everything as simple as possible. There will be far less chance of something going disastrously wrong on stage , and you will probably end up sounding better as well. :)

Edited by Dingus

pretty sure that in that clip he just using the big morley power wah, with a slight dirty tone, when he toes down the wah theres a big treble boost.

shouldnt take much really to get close just a bit of noodling, also remember hes playing thru an svt and a 810 so some of the tones coming from that.

andy