Why become a member? ×

To Re fin or not to Refin? That is the question!

Lord Sausage

This may be premature as I haven't finished my current debut project. However, when I've finished I'll need a new one. I have a bass that i got when i was 14 in 1993. It was my first good bass. It's a Jackson Futura, Kip Winger signature. If i knew it was that when i bought it I probably wouldn't ha ha. It being 93 and me being into grunge and metal. Couldn't decipher what the sig said. Just thought it looked and sounded cool.
Anyway, it's a state now and it doesn't work. I don't know whether just to give it a rewire and set up or fully refin it. Part of me wants to leave it as it is my original good bass. But i don't think it looks cool roadworn just tatty. So maybe i should make it look pretty again. What do you think?

Here are some pics.

[attachment=162884:20140516_161603.jpg] [attachment=162885:20140516_161616.jpg] [attachment=162886:20140516_161621.jpg]
[attachment=162887:20140516_161628.jpg] [attachment=162888:20140516_161639.jpg] [attachment=162889:20140516_161650.jpg]
[attachment=162890:20140516_161656.jpg] [attachment=162891:20140516_161705.jpg]

I've never felt tempted to try to tart up roadwear on my long term instruments - for me each ding tells a story and reminds me of experiences on the journey I had while playing that instrument and what was going on in my life at the time.

However, I also really love the feeling of taking something old and beat up and restoring it to it's former glory, so regardless of whether you refinish or not I don't think you will be disappointed when you have restored your old friend to full health.

Take some time and listen to your heart, only you can know whether a refinish will feel right - you can however sort all the functional aspects first before committing to the refinish route, and playing and hearing your bass again will fuel your gut feeling.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1400416168' post='2453591']
I've never felt tempted to try to tart up roadwear on my long term instruments - for me each ding tells a story and reminds me of experiences on the journey I had while playing that instrument and what was going on in my life at the time.

However, I also really love the feeling of taking something old and beat up and restoring it to it's former glory, so regardless of whether you refinish or not I don't think you will be disappointed when you have restored your old friend to full health.

Take some time and listen to your heart, only you can know whether a refinish will feel right - you can however sort all the functional aspects first before committing to the refinish route, and playing and hearing your bass again will fuel your gut feeling.
[/quote]
Cheers!