Why become a member? ×

Power strip for rack case

Jonesy64

I thought it would be cool to tidy everything up nicely and fit one of those 19" power strips to the rear of my 3U rack so that I can plug the amp head and rack tuner into it leaving just one cable out to a power socket.

Alternatively, as I only need two sockets maybe I could fit a smaller power strip inside somehow.

Wondering what you guys are doing before I make a decision.

Any recommendations on choice of power strip would be most welcome too.

Cheers!

I used one like this when I had a rack. Get one with UK 3-pin sockets (they will save you lots of grief) and get as many sockets on the strip as possible - you will congratulate yourself on your foresight in future. ;)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-7-Way-UK-Mains-Power-Distribution-Strip-Unit-Extension-PDU-Data-Rack-Cabinet-/351023341959"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-7-Way-UK-Mains-Power-Distribution-Strip-Unit-Extension-PDU-Data-Rack-Cabinet-/351023341959[/url]

I added rear rack rails to my case. Cost me about a fiver for the parts from my local, independent, electronics merchant.
I then attached a 6 way, rack mounted, surge protected power strip that bought for about 20 quid off the bay. It had a built in earth tester too.

You'd have to ask bramleyapple for more details as I sold the rig to him over a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 1U unit with an IEC inlet and 8 individually fused IEC outlets in our PA rack, a few short male to female IEC cables and everything is nice and tidy. I've seen them with Powercon inlets too, which is even more secure for live use as it can't be pulled out. Mine is hardwired to a Powercon on a patch panel in the rack for that reason.