Why become a member? ×

Bass Big Muff - adding a mid control knob

dannybuoy

I've already modded my BBM with a master volume knob to fix the volume boost in dry mode, as well as a feedback switch (see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/112212-bass-big-muff-volume-and-feedback-mods"]here[/url]). Now I want to add a mids control using the info posted here:

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/bass-big-muff-mids-control-mod.1070352/

I've got a bunch of resistors, now I just have to find a source for the 20K LIN pot and 12n cap, and I shall be attempting it this week! :i-m_so_happy:

(If anyone knows the best place to get those that won't charge ridiculous postage please let me know)

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1399748571' post='2447321']
Doctortweek for all your odds and sods needs :-)
[/quote]

This.
Get some Lead solder too - lead free stuff melts at a higher temperature than 'proper' solder, and you risk damaging the board.

Depending on how it's wired (presumably an RC filter, if 2 of the 3 lugs are going to ground) the 10nf will focus on or around 650Hz to 3,385Hz and the 15nf will operate on frequencies between 429Hz to 2,257Hz.

Obviously there's a lot of overlap, but of the 2 I'd plump for the 10nf.

You should of course wire the 10nf in parallel with a 2nd, 2nf capacitor to achieve 12nf, your frequencies would then be 536Hz to 2,281Hz.

Another option would be to use a variable capacitor, (a little trimpot) but I'm not sure there's enough room on the board for anything lie that...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399752908' post='2447392']
Got some already! Doctortweek only have 10n and 15n caps in stock, not sure how much of a difference that would make?
[/quote]

Put a socket in and then you're winning. Bear in mind that with that cap you're effectively setting the lowest corner frequency on the HPF when the Mids level is highest, so you may find that the lower frequency gives you more range. If you've not already, use Duncan's Tone Stack Calculator to map it. Consider whether you want a log or lin pot from that too. Also worth looking at is how the Blackout Musket mids control is implemented. I'm not a fan myself, but it's only a preference thing, and you may find it offers an interesting alternative. Have fun!

I want to add a gain knob to my Darkglass Duality too, which is also SMT, so this BBM mod will give me some practice before I'm let loose butchering an expensive pedal!

Mids aren't a problem for me at the moment if I run the SFT into it, but being able to boost them even more wouldn't hurt.

Edited by dannybuoy