Why become a member? ×

Fender American Vintage Reissue Stratocasters - opinions?

tedmanzie

I'm thinking about selling my well loved old Strat Plus (1986 Maple / 3TSB) and upgrading to one of the AVRI Strats.

Have any of you played or owned one of these? I quite fancy the current '59 model with the rosewood board but I need to get down to Guitar Village and try a few out! Would like to hear a few opinions on these, they get very good reviews. I'm not really clear on the differences between the current models - 56, 59, 64...

I think they come fitted with a 5 way but with a 3 way included if you want to wire them up as they were originally.
I's better get my grubby little hands on those different profile necks then, see what they feel like....

Good point. Some features of my Strat have always bugged me - the roller nut, the 'modern' lace sensor pickups, the poly finish that never wears! But it has a great neck, and plays very nicely.
I play basic funk, usually very clean, a touch of overdrive sometimes - so a 'back to basics' strat appeals to me.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1399373066' post='2443478']
I play basic funk, usually very clean, a touch of overdrive sometimes - so a 'back to basics' strat appeals to me.
[/quote]

I play same kinda stuff and have similar tone requirements. It took me ages to find a Strat that felt right and did what I wanted. The ones that do it for me are the '90s Japanese '50s reissues; in particular the 54 (two tone tobacco burst with maple neck and single ply white scratch plate). Lovely vintage V neck and v nice hardware, build, wood, etc; but the pups are standard US Custom 50s, which are a bit too weak and undefined for my tastes. I dropped some Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups in there and now this guitar sings. I would hold it up against any US Strat now and reckon it would beat many. Hope that helps.....

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1399373066' post='2443478']
Good point. Some features of my Strat have always bugged me - the roller nut, the 'modern' lace sensor pickups, the poly finish that never wears! But it has a great neck, and plays very nicely.
[/quote]

Poly finish does wear - you just need to drop the guitar harder. ;)

So vintage nut, trem and real single coils. Something worth looking for is a set of PUs without RWRP middle - I had a set from GFS for a while, and the clean tone with the pickups combined in either position was wonderful.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1399484137' post='2444712']
Poly finish does wear - you just need to drop the guitar harder. ;)

So vintage nut, trem and real single coils. Something worth looking for is a set of PUs without RWRP middle - I had a set from GFS for a while, and the clean tone with the pickups combined in either position was wonderful.
[/quote]

I did wonder about putting new pickups in it but its such a guessing game...?!
That's an interesting idea though, (all PUs with same wiring). Was that ever a standard issue on strats? I'm not a massive fan on the in-between 'quacky' positions.
I actually re-jigged my pickups so i could select the bridge+neck like you can on a Tele, and it's my favourite position.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a set of Old Glories by David White many years ago. I have a '90 Am Std. (owned from new) and had already tried out several pups on it (including Lace Sensors in various combinations). These came up on eBay I think - mid/late '90's as I recall (although I couldn't swear to that bit - might have been through the 'Guitarist' classifieds :unsure: ). The fact that I've never felt the need to replace them from that day to this tells you everything you need to know about how I feel about them. Pretty rare these days I think, but if you can get your hands on a set I'd recommend buying them before somebody else does!

Come to think of it I haven't actually played that guitar for a few years now - time to blow the dust off I think... remind myself how good it sounds through my little Cornford combo. :)

Edited by leftybassman392

I had an early 90's '57 reissue for quite a few years, they are very good guitars, but I'm not sure I'd spend the money required for a brand new AVRI at today's prices, for the same money you could get a good used custom shop strat or any one of the many boutique builders out there.

In the end I sold it because of the skinny frets and the choking from the 7.25" fretboard radius - I'm not sure if they still have that on the latest AVRI's, but IMO 9.5" is a much better compromise if you want to play lead and have a low action so worth checking on. Certainly most of the custom shop vintage models can be ordered with 9.5" radius but I'm not sure about AVRI models.

Re pickups, I have Lindy Frailin Vintage Hot's in my current (bitsa made from US Fender parts) strat - they are excellent, but the biggest upgrade I have done was changing the cast alloy trem block for a callaham steel one - seriously I was amazed at the increase in sustain and overtones just from that one mod.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1399379050' post='2443563']
I play same kinda stuff and have similar tone requirements. It took me ages to find a Strat that felt right and did what I wanted. The ones that do it for me are the '90s Japanese '50s reissues; in particular the 54 (two tone tobacco burst with maple neck and single ply white scratch plate). Lovely vintage V neck and v nice hardware, build, wood, etc; but the pups are standard US Custom 50s, which are a bit too weak and undefined for my tastes. I dropped some Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups in there and now this guitar sings. I would hold it up against any US Strat now and reckon it would beat many. Hope that helps.....
[/quote]

I've been doing some browsing on the internet and these MIJ '54 reissues get some very good reviews, I'm trying to track one down to try out.
Do you know if they are nitro finish?

There is one here, but it's pink not 2TSB so not sure if its a proper '54?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Japan-54-Reissue-Stratocaster-Shell-Pink-/231224554687?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35d60eb4bf

And there is a '50s' reissue here but it seems like it could be the 54, it's not far from here so i could go and see:
http://www.chandlerguitars.co.uk/product_Detail.php?ItemID=4382

Almost forgot - I had a MIJ '57 RI (made in '93 IIRC) for a number of years - tobacco SB, single ply scratchplate complete with authentic warping(!), Maple neck, cheesewire frets, etc. From a distance it really looked the part, but it had stock pups and a basswood body (and the neck had been artificially 'aged' with a bit of dark lacquer); so not really that authentic. Decent enough sound as I recall but nothing special. Unusually for me and guitars, I never got round to gigging it - which is a bit of a commentary in itself I guess. The '72 RI black Tele, on the other hand...

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1399542418' post='2445114']

I've been doing some browsing on the internet and these MIJ '54 reissues get some very good reviews, I'm trying to track one down to try out.
Do you know if they are nitro finish?

There is one here, but it's pink not 2TSB so not sure if its a proper '54?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Japan-54-Reissue-Stratocaster-Shell-Pink-/231224554687?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35d60eb4bf

And there is a '50s' reissue here but it seems like it could be the 54, it's not far from here so i could go and see:
http://www.chandlerguitars.co.uk/product_Detail.php?ItemID=4382
[/quote]

I think the original Japanese ones from 80s and early 90s are nitro; but I am not 100% sure.
The finish is v good and thin over beautiful wood.

I am not sure about the pink 54....I don't know if they ever came in that colour; only ones I've seen are tobacco 2TSB.

To give you idea of quality, I was blown away when I tried one. the owner had just cashed in on his genuine 63 Strat, in part he said because the 90s Jap ST54 was better than his v valuable and good 63!

I couldn't find the one at Chandlers....maybe you tried it and bought it already!

Anyway, when I got mine it wasn't properly set up, but as soon as I got it sorted it was exactly like the beauty I first tried.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1399577950' post='2445619']
I couldn't find the one at Chandlers....maybe you tried it and bought it already!
[/quote]

Ha! Yes I bought it this afternoon after trying it out for about an hour :D
Actually I went the whole hog and ordered a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups which are coming in early next week when it will get a full setup, new strings, etc.
Lovely light guitar (6lbs 8oz) 2TSB, soft V neck, just the right amount of wear, the funk was flowing, I couldn't resist.
Considering I was thinking of a new USA vintage reissue at the start of this thread I think I should thank you guys for saving me some money??! :gas:

:D

Nice score. I've a couple of strats:

Number 1 which is MIJ I bought in '89 new, still has the original ceramic PUs neck & middle, with a US alnico in the bridge and has a very soft, rounded tone that's very sweet despite the maple neck.
Number 2 is a MIM job, and weight about 6 1/2lb like yours. This is much brighter, crisper and sharper-edged (even more so since replacing the original trem with a Wilkinson unit, but it stays in tune) and is where I ran initially the GFS with the non-RWRP pickup, then a set of GFS vintage wind Greybottoms (great pickups BTW).

When it comes to strat PUs I much prefer low output (those MIJ singles are wound to around 3.7k ohms!) because they sound sweeter and more transparent to me, while higher output PUs can get a bit nasally. Hope you're really happy with the new guitar and she works well for you.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1399630945' post='2446001']
:D

Nice score. I've a couple of strats:

Number 1 which is MIJ I bought in '89 new, still has the original ceramic PUs neck & middle, with a US alnico in the bridge and has a very soft, rounded tone that's very sweet despite the maple neck.
Number 2 is a MIM job, and weight about 6 1/2lb like yours. This is much brighter, crisper and sharper-edged (even more so since replacing the original trem with a Wilkinson unit, but it stays in tune) and is where I ran initially the GFS with the non-RWRP pickup, then a set of GFS vintage wind Greybottoms (great pickups BTW).

When it comes to strat PUs I much prefer low output (those MIJ singles are wound to around 3.7k ohms!) because they sound sweeter and more transparent to me, while higher output PUs can get a bit nasally. Hope you're really happy with the new guitar and she works well for you.
[/quote]

I like the current PUs - they are the originals - so I'm taking a bit of a gamble on the Lindy Fralins which I can get installed next week (I can still change my mind).
The guys in the shop were strongly in favour of putting the Fralins in, so I'm taking a bit of a gamble I suppose. Confusingly 'Vintage Hots' seem to be LFs least 'hot' pickup as far as I can tell?
http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyle.asp
As I basically play clean funk I want a strong vintage strat tone, but not nasally piercing.

Ha! Result for you and great choice to put in the Fralin VH pups.

At first I thought the US Custom Shops that these 50s RI MIJs were fitted with were fine; but after a while and in comparison to a few other nice guitars I have, I realised that the sound is not as sweet or defined as I would like and also too cool to push an amp properly when required.

The Fralins sound incredible and tightly defined; each pup has its own character and is voiced a bit differently and beautifully for its position.
Positions 4 and 2 seem to have a much nicer and fuller quack and the pups are just hot enough at 10 to push a suitably-adjusted valve amp into break-up and they roll back to 7-8 for perfect clean tone.

I got the optional LFralin base plate fitted under the bridge pup too, which allegedly gives position 1 a little more fullness - it only cost £5, so no brainer!

The other thing I had done on mine at same time was to have the bridge tone pot changed to incorporate a push/push switch that brings the neck pup into play on any setting.
This means you can get a Tele-type sound of neck and bridge pup combined or even all three pups on at once, tho that sounds a bit weird to me.
I think this extra option only cost me about £15 fitted and I am very glad to have done it.

Also......if that one at Chandlers was a 54, you did very well indeed.
By all the accounts I have heard the MIJ 54 is the best of the 50s RI Strats.
In fact I have read somewhere that they were so good that Fender USA banned Fender Japan from exporting any of their high end guitars at all from Japan, which is why these lovely Strats are now so rare and sought after.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1399639093' post='2446149']
Ha! Result for you and great choice to put in the Fralin VH pups.

At first I thought the US Custom Shops that these 50s RI MIJs were fitted with were fine; but after a while and in comparison to a few other nice guitars I have, I realised that the sound is not as sweet or defined as I would like and also too cool to push an amp properly when required.

The Fralins sound incredible and tightly defined; each pup has its own character and is voiced a bit differently and beautifully for its position.
Positions 4 and 2 seem to have a much nicer and fuller quack and the pups are just hot enough at 10 to push a suitably-adjusted valve amp into break-up and they roll back to 7-8 for perfect clean tone.

I got the optional LFralin base plate fitted under the bridge pup too, which allegedly gives position 1 a little more fullness - it only cost £5, so no brainer!

The other thing I had done on mine at same time was to have the bridge tone pot changed to incorporate a push/push switch that brings the neck pup into play on any setting.
This means you can get a Tele-type sound of neck and bridge pup combined or even all three pups on at once, tho that sounds a bit weird to me.
I think this extra option only cost me about £15 fitted and I am very glad to have done it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I wondered about the baseplate.
They also offer a blender pot which seems a bit like what you're describing:
http://www.fralinpickups.com/images/blendschem2.jpg
but i can't get my head round how it works...

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1399589784' post='2445772']
Ha! Yes I bought it this afternoon after trying it out for about an hour :D
Actually I went the whole hog and ordered a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups which are coming in early next week when it will get a full setup, new strings, etc.
Lovely light guitar (6lbs 8oz) 2TSB, soft V neck, just the right amount of wear, the funk was flowing, I couldn't resist.
Considering I was thinking of a new USA vintage reissue at the start of this thread I think I should thank you guys for saving me some money??! :gas:
[/quote]

glad to have saved you some money too.....when are you getting the beers in, then?!!!!

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1399639450' post='2446151']
Also......if that one at Chandlers was a 54, you did very well indeed.
By all the accounts I have heard the MIJ 54 is the best of the 50s RI Strats.
In fact I have read somewhere that they were so good that Fender USA banned Fender Japan from exporting any of their high end guitars at all from Japan, which is why these lovely Strats are now so rare and sought after.
[/quote]
as far as i can tell it is a 54ri, made in 1997/98 (CIJ A004620)
it has the soft V solid maple neck, vintage frets, 2TSB, fender stamped saddles, single ply white guard, round string tree, 7.25 radius, alder body.

could be a 57ri maybe, or some other 50s model, don't know how to tell 100%

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1399639490' post='2446154']
Thanks for the info, I wondered about the baseplate.
They also offer a blender pot which seems a bit like what you're describing:
[url="http://www.fralinpickups.com/images/blendschem2.jpg"]http://www.fralinpic...blendschem2.jpg[/url]
but i can't get my head round how it works...
[/quote]

Yes, definitely do the baseplate too.

That blender pot sounds a bit similar but different and a lot more complicated than what my techs recommended.

All that happens with mine is that you push the bridge tone knob and the neck pup stays on; the 5-way pup selector switch continues to operate as before, except that the neck pup is on all the time.

Push the knob again and everything is as standard.

At all times the tone and volume controls continue to work the same, controlling the same pups.

The only slight disadvantage of the push/push switch is that it can get in the way of the trem arm, depending on how you like it adjusted; but even then it is not a real problem.
In hindsight I might have gone for a micro-switch instead of the push/push switch in bridge tone control; but that would probably not have been so easy to switch on the fly.

if you want to chat about it, PM me and I'll send you my number.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1399639834' post='2446162']
as far as i can tell it is a 54ri, made in 1997/98 (CIJ A004620)
it has the soft V solid maple neck, vintage frets, 2TSB, fender stamped saddles, single ply white guard, round string tree, 7.25 radius, alder body.

could be a 57ri maybe, or some other 50s model, don't know how to tell 100%
[/quote]

It does sound great and right for a 54 RI - the round string tree is the give away; the 57s have a tree with two wings, rather than a round washer.
Here are some pics of mine (which is definitely an MIJ 54 RI) for comparisons (these are the catalogue shots from where I bought mine and this is my actual guitar).

I hate to be the bearer of possibly unexpected news, but CIJ is different from MIJ.
CIJ is Crafted in Japan, MIJ is Made in Japan.
I believe they became CIJ after the ban on export of the Jap (MIJ) 50s RIs.
I think CIJ may mean the parts are made in Japan, then sent to America or Mexico for assembly, finishing and distribution.
You would have to research this more, as i really am not sure of all the details; but I do know that the CIJ Fenders are also very good instruments indeed and a great alternative to the expensive USA RIs, which I have heard some say are over-valued/rated.

How about some pics of yours on here?!

Edited by Bassnut62