Why become a member? ×

Gk SWR advice needed

Africaskully

Hi

New to the forum but hoping someone can help me.

I recently got a GK 2001rb head as well as a SWR goliath snr 6x10 cab.

Now I am really not a technical buff and this was a major upgrade from my previous little combo amp.
I don't really understand the GK manual on the reccomendations on connecting to my cab. The head has a bunch of features like bi-amp mode etc that only works with certain cables on certain modes.

The SWR has a jack as well as speakon input. But the speakon cables I got with the head are 4 pin and the manual says that it shouldn't be used on other brands,

Also it has a bridged mode as well as dual mono but also there are a bunch of DONTS in the manual at which point I have no idea which to use as I don't want to hurt my head or cab.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.. I will post photos of back of head and cab if that would help

GK run a nominal version of bi-amping which would in effect split a signal.
You need a cab or cabs that will accept and your SWR 610 wont, so you have to run it
as normal full range output.
Not sure what connects you have on the back of the amp, but there must be an option for
full range speakon and/or jack out.
You can't use the 4 pin cable.... so a jack to jack out with work, or a normal speakon, as long
of it comes from the FULL RANGE output section on the amp.

ok...
using this pic
[url="http://www.rainbowguitars.com/bass/gallien-krueger/2001rb-1080-watt-bass-amplifier/3020290b/gk"]http://www.rainbowgu...ier/3020290b/gk[/url]

you have a stereo type amp.

You can use in bridge or stereo... or mono,
The latter means using one section of the output stage.... so beware what the output is
540w into 4...?? what impedence is your cab..?

Best thing is to buy another standard Speakon and mark it as bridged cable... and then
set the bridge switch to bridge and plug it into L/br ouput on the amp.

This means you have full bridged power going into the 610... and I suspect the 610 is 4 ohms.
So as long as you amp can power bridged at 4 ohms, you are going to have a LOT of volume on tap.
Be careful here as full power will probably overload your cab... and that will get you into a HEAP of trouble as
PAS speakers are pretty much not attainable as replacements in the U.K should you blow any.. IME.

Edited by JTUK

Thanks allot JTUK

So if I understand correctly, I should use the right speaker out jack with the switched put on "dual mono" .. That is what I originally thought but when I switch of my amp having it connected in above mentioned way the cab makes a strange like fizzle sound and doesn't do it when jack is connected to left out on amp..

Looking here http://support.swramps.com/manuals/pdfs/procabs_om.PDF it seems my impedance on cab is 4 ohms

Edited by Africaskully

I will have to read the manual to see why it says that when the left channel shows a speakon out ???

You have a choice to run as bridge or Duo mono which is an odd term.

If you think 540w into 4 ohms is loud enough..and it should be, then you basically use one side of the stereo amp...altho
they call it Duo-mono..????

Speakon cable is used for heavier/louder outputs as it takes more current/load that a jack... and you would think the
bridge option would require speakon.

So... in order to get the cab up and running...
use a cab lead... NOT gtr lead... jack to jack and run from the left OR right jack output on the amp.
There appears to be freq contro marked woofer, horn etc etc l on the front of the amp but I don't know why they make it so complicated.
Because of the weird way GK go about getting a high end signal..instread of a simple crossover control.... you could be taking out
the hi or lows on that switch...
It would make far more sense to use a balance control for L or R and a crossover to determine whether you are sending hi or low to which side..L or R..

To use speakons you'd need a special cable..so don't use that option unless you have worked it all out.

I don't have access to a 2001 manual.

Maybe wait for someone who uses this amp to come along and make more sense of the front panel ...and how the signal gets split or not.

The Goliath Snr is definitely 4 ohms. I run my SM1500 in bridged mode into this cab and all is fine as long as I keep the bass control under er control :) and obviously don't try to run the cab at the full output of the amp. The SM1500 has a different arrangement of outputs as it has a separate speakon socket just for bridged mono mode as well as left & right speakon sockets for stereo or bi-amp mode.

It says that you MUST use jack leads for other manufacturers cabs only so a dedicated jack speaker
cable into the jack outs is what you need.

If you have twin cable speakons...the usual wiring that you can buy... then you can use the
amp in bridged mode but NOT bi-amped.

The easiest way is just to run a jack out to the cab but maybe use a heavier gauge cable.

The manual says on page 10.
Since Bridge Mode operation is only available through
the Speakon outputs, the type of Speakon cable you
need depends on the brand of cabinets that you are
using.When using our RBH Series cabinets, using our
four-conductor Speakon to Speakon Biamp cable will
allow Bridged Mode and Bi-amp operation
simulaneously. Since the 50W horn amps are always
active, this allows youto deliver 1080W to your cabinet
and 50W to the horn. When using other brand name
cabinets a two-conductor Speakon cable will be needed
but the Bi-amp feature will not work. It is very
important, that these two-conductor Speakon cables
are wired correctly. The 1+ pin connects to the tip of
the 1/4” plug and the 1- pin connects to the shield.

on page 11
[b]2001RB setup for Normal Operation:[/b]

The 2001RB series amplifier is configured for
normal operation when you are connecting to any
cabinet with a 2 conductor Speakon cable, 1/4” to
1/4” speaker cable or 1/4” to banana plug speaker
cable. In this setup, the speaker cabinet is driven
by the 540W amp and the 50W tweeter amplifier is
not used. If you are using RBH series cabinets, the
volume of the tweeter (relative to the woofer’s
volume) can be adjusted using the Horn Level
control of the cabinet’s internal crossover

Based on what page 10 says, using a standard +1/-1 wired two conductor speakon lead should allow you to access the bridge mono mode on the 2001 and link this to the Goliath Snr. Does the manual state which speakon output to use for bridge mono operation (normally channel 1 on bridged power amps)?

Then it should be ok with a standard +1/-1 speakon lead. BTW the goliath Snr is one hell of a cab. I'm in the process of replacing two goliath 4x10's with mine (one 4x10 already gone to a new home)

This is what a GK tech sent me:

"Well that depends on what impedance the Goliath is. If it is a 8 ohm you would hook it up to dual mono but if it's a 4ohm you would need to hook it up to bridge mode to get full output out of the head. But remember in bridge mode you are pushing quite a lot of power so be careful how high you turn up the volume as you may overpower the cab and this may damage it.
GK Tech"

But I thought bridge mode is only to be used with the speakon cables and that speak ons should never be used with other brands??? Confused

GK have their own version of bi-amping. Using their RB series cabs with their heads has a separate amp for the tweeter (50w) and then the main amp for the drivers. To achieve this they use 4 pole speakons where the +1/-1 terminals carry the main amp to the drivers and the +2/-2 terminals carry the tweeter amp to the tweeter.

From what was posted earlier, according to the manual in bridge mode, you get a full range signal on +1/-1 so a conventional 2 pole speakon lead will take the full bridge mono output to another manufacturers cab such as the SWR.