Why become a member? ×

First string change for 20 years

Spoombung

On-topic for this thread: I am finding that I like old strings on basses. New strings, not so much. I wonder if there could be a mutually beneficial trade between those who like new strings, and those who like old ones.

Off-topic for this thread: You are reviewed as being influenced by Percy Jones, with someone noting your 'busy triplets'. Which pieces of music would you say best showcase this aspect of your style? 'Reversal' by Prescott sounds similar to Percy Jones work on albums such as Eno's 'Another Green World', but I was wondering if there was something that you feel better represents the PJ side of your playing nature. I listened to much of 'I saw Spoonbung's Daughter Consumed by Kirby Dots' first, but the bass playing on that sounds more minimal.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1398411758' post='2433759']
On-topic for this thread: I am finding that I like old strings on basses. New strings, not so much. I wonder if there could be a mutually beneficial trade between those who like new strings, and those who like old ones.

Off-topic for this thread: You are reviewed as being influenced by Percy Jones, with someone noting your 'busy triplets'. Which pieces of music would you say best showcase this aspect of your style? 'Reversal' by Prescott sounds similar to Percy Jones work on albums such as Eno's 'Another Green World', but I was wondering if there was something that you feel better represents the PJ side of your playing nature. I listened to much of 'I saw Spoonbung's Daughter Consumed by Kirby Dots' first, but the bass playing on that sounds more minimal.
[/quote]

There's a lot of questions there.

I did make an album a couple of years ago called 'The Germjoin' which has what I'd call 'normal' or straightforward melodic playing and I used a cheap £80 bass to get that PJ sound. The album only got a Japanese release and didn't appear over here but there'll be a digital download available at some stage.

[media]http://youtu.be/mrFKu3pMM0w[/media]

As for the Percy influence I play less like him than I used to but there's a track on the new Prescott album called 'T-sup' which has a massive, two-minute bass solo in it featuring some of the tropes familiar to that style...but there's a lot of other influences such as Cage-like preparations and the harmonic interval playing of guitarist, Derek Bailey. Hopefully the whole thing mashes together and I sound something like Kev Hopper in the way the influences combine and are re-contextualised.

Thanks. BTW: There may have been a misunderstanding. By "PJ Sound' I meant "Percy Jones" sound, mainly referring to the composition/improvisation rather than the actual bass sound. I'm wondering if you thought I meant "Precision Jazz" pickup sound when you mention the £80 bass.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1398421479' post='2433895']
Thanks. BTW: There may have been a misunderstanding. By "PJ Sound' I meant "Percy Jones" sound, mainly referring to the composition/improvisation rather than the actual bass sound. I'm wondering if you thought I meant "Precision Jazz" pickup sound when you mention the £80 bass.
[/quote]

Ah, Lol!

Well a lot of the Stump stuff was sort of 'Potted PJ' as I would call it...this being a prime example:

http://youtu.be/YNZXoEvikd0

I occasionally get people emailing me requesting tabs for this bass line, believe it or not.