Why become a member? ×

Disappointing Sound

lowlandtrees

Playing a MM SUB through a Fishman Plat Pro into a Roland 100 Cube. Recently started rehearsing with a band and I hate the sound!! I used to love the DI ed recorded sound of this bass but I changed to EB flats from rounds as there was a string tension issue. I use the Fishman with my EUB and thought it would help but it killed the sound. Think that it may be the strings but trying out strings is a costly business. Vaguely considering a new amp but need something that will suit both ebass and EUB and have 2 inputs.

What was your string tension issue with the MM SUB? Going from roundwounds to flats of the same gauge usually increases tension and reduces compliance. If the rounds on the SUB had too much tension but you liked the sounds then try lighter gauge rounds; if the rounds had too little tension then go for heavier strings?

PS: You say "trying out strings is a costly business. Vaguely considering a new amp" but surely a new amp is going to cost ten to twenty times more than a set of new strings?!

Edited by HowieBass

Flats usually increase tension but depend on which brand of flats you using. The sound from flat to round is so much different so what you usually like is the tone of the round ....

Maybe like above suggest, try lighter gauge round if the tension is too much or try heavier gauge if too little tension ....

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1397547372' post='2424921']
What was your string tension issue with the MM SUB? Going from roundwounds to flats of the same gauge usually increases tension and reduces compliance. If the rounds on the SUB had too much tension but you liked the sounds then try lighter gauge rounds; if the rounds had too little tension then go for heavier strings?

PS: You say "trying out strings is a costly business. Vaguely considering a new amp" but surely a new amp is going to cost ten to twenty times more than a set of new strings?!
[/quote]

I suppose the only difference being you can't try out strings in a shop before you plonk your £20, it could get very expensive very quickly if you don't find your brand!

I do agree with Howard though - rounds to flats is an extreme change and probably won't help with your tension problem. Need 'em tighter, buy a heavier gauge, need 'em floppier, buy a lighter gauge.

Yes...think I will go back to round. I am using EB Group III flats. The reason being that I had a 78 Ric 4001 strung with D Addario tapewound (think that they were expensive but worth it) and I loved the playability of them so when the tension thing happened ( strings were all over the place as if the neck was twisting)..I decided to go for flats and someone recommended the EBs. Don't find them as playable as the tapewound and the sound is dull on the SUB. Can't remember which roundwounds nor the guage I had on previously. I have used Elixir for years on my guitar so maybe it was them. Must admit that I do like tight strings but don't think that this bass can take em.
Only vaguely considering a new amp...will go through the string thing first.
I am totally baffled by string makes, materials, tensions and guages. Must educate myself. Much easier 15 years ago. The worst (and best) thing that has happened to modern life is ...CHOICE...it used to be take this or foff...now you get a list of 45 different things to choose from in the most banal daily routines like having a cup of coffee.
Apols for the rant..thanks for the input

I know what you mean about more choice not necessarily being a good thing; TV channels come to mind in particular! You might like to put a shout out to other MM SUB owners and ask what gauges are they using, in particular what's the heaviest gauge they've tried and have suited the instrument. I know some people hate having to adjust the truss rod to balance the changes in string tension when changing sets but I just see it as part of the fun in owning a bass. You should be able to put a heavier set of roundwounds on than the current gauge flats and the tension will probably be similar.