Why become a member? ×

The world of business cards

JamesBass

So, I'm looking to really begin pushing myself as a music professional now. I'm currently teaching bass, doing sessions and del work while also having a few fingers in management and promotions.

I want to get a/some business cards made up, but not sure on what to be putting on it/them.

I know there are some pros and semi-pros on here and am looking for a bit of help!

Many thanks,

James

Obviously your name, maybe a photo or logo and a few words about what you do...
Bass player
Lessons, sessions and performance etc.
Then whatever contact details you want to share, such as mobile number and email address. Unless you have a business premises, don't put a postal address but do put a website or links to facebook/twitter pages.
Vista print do decent cards and you can use one of their templates or upload your own.

Since you have a lot of things going on... but all centred around music, I would just have your name, along with
the words professional bass player, plus contact details inc web, FB and tritter links etc ..

You are not going to get it all on a card... and you'll be handing the card out in person 90% of the time
so you'll add anything else pertinent verbally...??

I use vistaprint for my business cards, I just make a PDF file in photoshop and upload that. Just make sure you choose the top spec/thickness cards as the cheapo ones are like paper. Colour is good, B&W cards also look cheap so avoid them.

I personally (not music - engineering, but you are giving an image) include the following info:

Name and qualifications
Job title, in your case perhaps Session Bassist and Teacher?
Address - I never trust anyone or any website not prepared to reveal their place if business, even if it is home
Phone, landline AND mobile of poss
Website and email address - nothing poncy like "[email protected]", just "[email protected]" is fine

A picture, bass clef or some other such image to match your website.

Cheers,
Rich

Vista print dimensions are instantly recognisable and nothing says "cheap" faster. If that matters to you then it matters. You can get better for not much more if you shop around. Digital printing machines don't "know" the difference between colour or b/w so it won't cost you extra.
If you want to put relevant pics on the back, do so. name, occupation web-site, email & FB +Twitter IDs (if applicable) with logos. Don't use any pics/images off the internet unless they're clearly royalty free & you gained permission, you can be nailed to a door if caught.

Are you saying you can tell where something was printed by the size of the card by eye? Amazing.

FB and twitter only work if you actually keep them up to date and current. As soon as it is on a card you are committed. I don't use either. If you want to give updates you have a website so just use that.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1397256065' post='2422366']
Are you saying you can tell where something was printed by the size of the card by eye? Amazing.[/quote] Hardly amazing, just professional observation - and the comments of many people who can spot them a mile away.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1397256065' post='2422366']FB and twitter only work if you actually keep them up to date and current. As soon as it is on a card you are committed.[/quote] That's why I wrote "if applicable" after it. And if you don't get on with either just take them off the next batch of cards - they're not going to break the bank, and they're tax deductable anyway. The only ones who would notice someone leaving would be other FB ot Twitter users, who if it hasn't worked - won't matter after all. Instagram is rapidly taking over in the youth SM from FB - again "if applicable".

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1397256065' post='2422366'] I don't use either. If you want to give updates you have a website so just use that.[/quote] What works for you may - or may not - work for the OP. Having 3 avenues of access rather than one website gives more opportunities for engagement.

Diablo - I have what's known as a portfolio career, I drop projects quick and pick them up even quicker, all depends where the demand and money lies, so by putting bass player and music professional I think I cover all my abilities rather well? For instance, I'm currently involved with running and managing a promotions company, I currently have 2 hours of regular teaching a week and get around 1 session a month, roughly. So most of my time is focused on the promotions company, though we have our final event of the year on the 12th September, so once that's over, the band I'm currently in should have our debut album out so we can press on with that. The promo company will be dropped from the number 1 space in my life and replaced by what's giving me the most income.

The question of using VistaPrint or not, is one that I'm looking in to more. I'm not enamoured by any of their designs and am somewhat awkward with designing things, I was always useless at Art in school! Though I have PLENTY of friends who'll do a design for me as a favour, in fact a few owe me favours, so time to call them in I think!

The other question is, do I do back and front printing?

Just a dozen of stacks of business cards I've been given in the past two years or so, some for reference, some to redesign, all - so I was told from Vista, all of them 50mm deep - and of varying lengths of up to 100mm. I [i]believe[/i] these sizes are based on the US standard, they're certainly the same size as the cards I have off mates in the US.

If Vista have changed their sizes it can only be a good thing. IF I was asked to use them for a job I would do.
You pays your money & takes your choice.

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Maddogcole/media/Bcards_0893_zpsd6b5d60f.jpg.html"][/url]

In my experience, the design of your business card has minimal influence in comparison to what comes out of your mouth when handing it to someone. And I'm saying that as someone who works for a creative company.

I've met very successful people whose business cards were designed using Clipart. Then again, I have a friend who runs an office out of Pinewood Studios whose 'business cards' are engraved iPods.

Honestly, I wouldn't get hung up about it. Spend around £50 for 500 cards and keep the design simple. Job done. People will remember you for what you say, not the piece of card you clutter up their pocket with.

I also find it more productive to collect other people's cards and make the effort to contact them - rather than vice-versa. This results in a much better success rate for me personally (in terms of generating new clients).

Hope that helps :)

Hi James, I'm a freelance designer by day (and most nights) I would be more than happy to put together a business card design for you.

If you need only a small print run (250+) initially then I would suggest using these [url="http://uk.moo.com/products/?gclid=CNexxNzL370CFW7MtAodkQEAdg"]http://uk.moo.com/products/?gclid=CNexxNzL370CFW7MtAodkQEAdg[/url]

I would recommend you avoid Vista Print, nothing wrong with them if you're a plumber/builder/white van driver (apologies to all the white van driving tradesmen here).

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1397465894' post='2424051']
Hi James, I'm a freelance designer by day (and most nights) I would be more than happy to put together a business card design for you.

If you need only a small print run (250+) initially then I would suggest using these [url="http://uk.moo.com/products/?gclid=CNexxNzL370CFW7MtAodkQEAdg"]http://uk.moo.com/pr...CFW7MtAodkQEAdg[/url]

I would recommend you avoid Vista Print, nothing wrong with them if you're a plumber/builder/white van driver (apologies to all the white van driving tradesmen here).
[/quote]
Hi Mark thanks for the offer!

Fortunately my girlfriend(Who's at art uni) has finished up on her work now and is designing everything for me now, even if I did have to force her to take a small payment of a nice romantic meal out in exchange for her hard work aha!

Will check that link out for printing when it comes to it! :)