Why become a member? ×

Are there any high school music teachers out there?

Damonjames

Hi all, just wondering if any of us are high school music teachers, or perhaps may know someone who is?
I am considering a career change and could use some advice on the best and most practical way to do it for a "mature age" (hahahahaha me mature!) student.

Thanks guys n gals

My brother did it after doing a music degree at the age of 40. Got promoted quickly but hated the politics. Now a peripatetic teacher (brass) and much happier, although the first few months building the work up and waiting for the money to come in was a bit of a worry. Give it a go - I always thought he was the least suitable person I knew to become a teacher!!

Not a "high school" teacher but a secondary one, which I guess is the UK equivalent (age 11-18). It's a job I've done for about 20 years now, ever since I realised that I wasn't John Taylor - despite having the same haircut. It's a job I really enjoy but you're right about the politics, you have to be able to let it all wash over you and just get on with doing your job - besides no matter how far "up themselves" some people are, the kids are always great.