Why become a member? ×

Back after 20-odd years

deaver

Hello one and all

I've just started playing again after a gap of 22 years. Used to play in a pub rock/covers nand back in the mid-eighties. Gave up playing for various resons. Bought myself a Thunderbird copy in a mild fit of mid-life crisis a couple of years ago. Came out of "retirement" and started rehearsing with a band a couple of weeks ago.

Will need a shed load of advice on amps etc. as things have moved on somewhat since 1986. I had a WEM dominator (50 W, Valves) back then and for bigger gigs was lucky enough to be able to use Graham Gouldman's (10CC) backline. Haven't got a clue about it all now.

Nice to know ther are few returning bass refugees out there. A eye-popping change in the gear and the amount of it available. Seeing the lightweight amps and cabs was the biggest revelation. Also rehearsal rooms seem to be a lot cheaper and better equipped than I remember.

Now I've just got to get the hang of this forum malarkey

[quote name='NickThomas' post='238776' date='Jul 13 2008, 09:50 PM']Welcome back ... It's just like riding a bike, but with cramp and a few signs of arthritis :)[/quote]
+1

Welcome Deaver! 22 years is a long time without playing.. I did 12 and didn't realise how much I missed it until I started playing again!

Love the fact that you bought a nice, shy & retiring Thunderbird bass to ease you back into things gently.... :huh:

Welcome Deaver,

I've done pretty much the same as you (I reckon I had about 20 years away), except that Ikept my trusy Precision which is now vintage :)

+1 on the amps front, expecially as I now have considerably more spending capacity at 40+ than i did at 20!

Enjoying gigging too, I hope you will as well.

Mike

Thanks for the support - really quite touching. The bands hoping to start gigging in September - mainly to give me time to get up to speed. Will be in the market for a lightweight rig in the next few weeks. I'm already negotiating for a more 'retiring' back-up/replacement for the Thunderbird with another forum member.

Edited by deaver