Why become a member? ×

Stanley Clarke

Norris

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1396641653' post='2416065']
I spoke briefly with Stan when I was working at a Jazzfest. I had been expecting lots of Alembic action but was in awe of his double bass playing and told him so. "Thanks man", he said and was gone.
[/quote]

I saw him at the Jazz Café a few years ago - as marvellous as his Alembic stuff was, his double bass solo just blew my mind. He said in a BP interview a few years ago that he intended to give up playing the electric when he 'got old', luckily it seems like he's changed his mind.

I agree with much that has been written about some of his more suspect albums.
BUT..I will always remember hearing him for the first time on "Romantic Warrior".... In 1976 !! My ears COULD NOT BELIEVE what they were hearing..I never even dreamt that bass could be played awesomely!! I felt sick to my stomach and gave up playing for 2 weeks!!...thinking " there's just no point..I'll never be able to play that good".... I thought I was getting good ( after only playing for 2 years!)....just because I could play some Jack Bruce licks!! ( he was the ultimate to me at that time).
I love the sound of his bass on all those 70 s albums.....an awesome player who has inspired so many bassists for years.

Edited by alembic1989