Why become a member? ×

PA - Powered Mixer or Separate Power Amp

njr911

Bought some nice (passive) speakers a few months ago but now our old trusty Peavy head has given up the ghost.

Speakers are 15" tops so can handle a fair bit of power, but saying that we're only a pub/mediums function room rock and roll band so don't need to fill theaters.

Currently only used for vocals (x3) but would like the option to put drums/bass through if required.

We would also like some basic monitoring.

What would be best a Yamaha EMX type combined or power amp and seperate mixer

ie -

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_e800.htm

and

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_x1222_usb.htm

What would be good for monitors and how do you run these from the desk ?

Anyone spotted any bargains about ?

Cheers
Neil

Personally I like going with seperates for speakers and amps because if one item fails you have a fighting chance of beg / steal / borrowing a replacement. You can always upgrade each bit seperately if you want. Your 15" tops should be able to handle some bass & kick to support your backline OK. (If you're a loud band I would probably go for a seperate sub as well.)

You could get 1 power amp and run the tops from 1 channel and the monitors from the other. The monitors would just need a cable running from an Aux line out from the desk to the back of the amp. Your manual will show you how to do it.

As for bargains....funny you should ask.....[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231424-2-x-yamaha-p5000s-power-amps-for-sale/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/231424-2-x-yamaha-p5000s-power-amps-for-sale/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

:)

My Band have just had to do something about our pa as it was owned by our old guitarist. Like you we had speakers, just needed the mixer/amp. We ended up buying a used Mackie 1000watt powered mixer, it brilliant. Very versatile with loads of options for setting up, and very light weight. Oh yes, only cost £250 from eVil bay.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mikeh' timestamp='1395756906' post='2405839']
We ended up buying a used Mackie 1000watt powered mixer, it brilliant. Very versatile with loads of options for setting up, and very light weight. Oh yes, only cost £250 from eVil bay.
[/quote]

OP just needs to beware that mixer amp output is usually quoted as "programme" watts not RMS. I'm not sure exactly which model yamaha powered deck our old singer used to have but despite having a headline "300 watts" when I looked at the specs section of the manual the actual RMS output was about 120 and this sort of gratuitous over statement of specs seems to be the norm for this type of kit. Separate PA amps on the other hand are (thankfully) still generally quoted in watts RMS.

Edited by bassman7755

I use an EMX512, and IMO it's a bloody brilliant bit of kit !

2 x 500W power amps, can be used one per side or, as I use it, one to drive the FOH and one for monitors. It only does a single monitor mix, but we only usually put vocals through the PA anyway, sometimes a bit of kick.

The onboard effects are very usable (eg bit of reverb on the vox) and the single knob compressors sound surprisingly good if you don't go silly with 'em.

A big plus for me, as sorting this stuff seems to be the bassist job by law, its simplicity. One box, mic's in the front, speaker leads in the back. Job done.

And it sounds good too.

Used ones seem to go for 200-250 wuid.