Why become a member? ×

Daaah.. Laney RB8 tone problems

Faithless

I'm just back from rehearsal...

Our rehearsing room is not traditionally 'prepared' for music, i mean, no wall 'carpeting', and stuff, but I can clearly state, problem's not here - that foking sound is coming from the amp...

To start with, my bass is active, Ibazzy SR Prestige, runned through Line6 POD XT Live, and this thing is plugged straight into amp's front. [not FX Return or somethin'...] Here's that [url="http://www.bass-amps.com/images/store/small/HS_RB8.gif"]Laney[/url]..

In my other band's studio I'm using [url="http://img.deremate.com.ar/user/images/1425/14258112.jpg"]Trace Elliot Commando15[/url], and that's the one, I can compare a bit with...

So, today I realised that my clear tone ( I mean, EQ flat, plugged straight into amp, pure tone..) is 'covered' by some bassy overload, if you know, what I mean... Sound is not waving, simply a bit too much 'bassy' fuzzed..

Strings are new enough, cables are good, bass is awesome - running it through Trace, that I mentioned, proves it very well - warm, punchy sound with no 'too much bassy-fuzzy' cover...

After a bit listening to my Laney, i can still 'hear' that TRUE tone, but he's somewhere deeply covered by that sh1t, i mentioned...

The problem is, I simply do not know, how to wrest out that unwanted tone 'cover' out of my Laney..

I'm having a gig in other weekend, and I think, I'll be bringing Trace, but I gotta sort that sh1te with Laney..

Can anyone tell me, at least - is that Laney a true sh1t, or am I doing something bad? [not playing with 7-band EQ or somethin..]

P.S. Tomorrow I'm heading to the shop to try another one RB8, and then maybe I'll put mt Laney with Trace together, to compare the sound, but.. I don't expect anything Big, somehow.

So, any Laney experts here? :)

Edited by Faithless

Back from shop..

Well, maybe i made a mistake in some way, that, before going there, this morning I 'washed' bass strings with string cleaner...

Nevertheless, I don't think, it could have had critical importance, as I'm cleaning them with a bit of water quite oftenly..

So, Laney-one in the shop sounded quite ok, runned with EQ flat, I couldn't hear that damn 'overload'.

What about compression, Galillee, I've tried MY Laney runned through Line6 (not much of compression), and without it - it's practically the same, so, problem's not in comp, I think.

I'm playing with two gu1tards, that REALLY like a lotta sound, no matter, how much I'm telling them, it's not good, so, shop assistant mentioned, that my speaker (or dynamic, dunno really, how to call it) could have 'went out' because of too loud playing, or due to transporting ( bumps, and so on..).

So, maaaybe, it's because of Volume levels.. Then it needs repairing, but, daamn, gig's in other weekend, and I really doubt, if I'll have time bringing it to shop for repairing and stuff.. :)

[quote name='Faithless' post='237300' date='Jul 11 2008, 01:36 PM']:) and how could I do that?..[/quote]
the input gain is normaly the knob on the left of the amp, should say Gain or input level underneath it, this is the level coming into the amp. you should set this with the final output volume knob set quite low (do it in a quite room) this way when you play you will hear if it is distorting before turning the output volume up (and then damaging the speaker)
i would guess that no more than 3/4 of gain should be used, then set your EQ and recheck gain as the eq can effect the levels (especially if boosting it) if you still have a clean tone with it this way then you can turn up the output.
but if you are getting the 'distorting sound with the volume low then either your gain is too high or your speaker is busted.

i wouldn't clean your string with anything water based as it will only cause corosion and the strings will rust and sound crap.

Thanks for help guys, I've checked Gain during rehearsal - I thought that the Level knob in the front of Line6 was more about volume, not about gain, so, that, were the big problem was - it was practically full on, and amp's, gain was between 4 and 5, if I remember correctly...

Fixed 'em both, so, it now seems OK.

But the amp is still a bit too 'low-boomy' for me on flat EQ.. Dunno, maybe it's room's prob...

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Faith.

[quote name='Faithless' post='238115' date='Jul 12 2008, 06:40 PM']Thanks for help guys, I've checked Gain during rehearsal - I thought that the Level knob in the front of Line6 was more about volume, not about gain, so, that, were the big problem was - it was practically full on, and amp's, gain was between 4 and 5, if I remember correctly...

Fixed 'em both, so, it now seems OK.

But the amp is still a bit too 'low-boomy' for me on flat EQ.. Dunno, maybe it's room's prob...

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Faith.[/quote]
ah there you go, the level from the line6 was overloading the input signal and there was pretty much nothing the gain knob could do about it :)
glad you got that part sorted.
as for the boomyness it could be a combination of room and eq. if it getting boomy on flat then drop the bass frequencies, i know my ibanez is pretty full on the bass end of things so i tend to leave the bass knob on the er bass flat and only really play with the mid and treble. also dont just go for the smilie face on the eq, mids are your friend and help cut through and also stop it becoming boomy, you should be able to eq the sound you want from the options you have on that amp. have a play and try dropping the bass frequencies a bit.

Ah, I've tried playing with EQ..

I ain't using any of 'Bass' there, only Mids with high frequency(hmm, lets say, more like High Mids..) and a bunch of Treble.

After sorting problem with Gain, it doesn't seem so bad now, though I'd still like a bit harsher and more-particular tone..

We'll see how it goes on stage on Saturday... :)

Playin' 3 sets with two bands there, so, I'll HAVE to find da tone..

I used to set the gain on my Laney by turning on the compression and then cranking the input knob until the light started to flicker.

Then I turned off the compression. I'm not sure if the newer units have improved but the onboard compression is renowned for being sub-par.

[quote name='Faithless' post='239576' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:15 PM']Ah, I've tried playing with EQ..

I ain't using any of 'Bass' there, only Mids with high frequency(hmm, lets say, more like High Mids..) and a bunch of Treble.

After sorting problem with Gain, it doesn't seem so bad now, though I'd still like a bit harsher and more-particular tone..

We'll see how it goes on stage on Saturday... :huh:

Playin' 3 sets with two bands there, so, I'll HAVE to find da tone..[/quote]

the 'more particular tone' you are after may just not be possible from the laney unfortunately :)
changing where you play over the pickups will give you different sounds also and then they can be EQ'd to sound different which may be an option to you if you just can't tweek the sound you want out of the amp.
mids and high mids are good for cutting through especially live. you could try dropping the mids a touch and pushing the high mids for punch, just if you do that dont go to far with the treble as it can get clanky, you could even drop the treble on the amp but boost it on the bass eq for a slightly different effect.

with the eq'ing options available to you you could play for hours before you get what you want from it, but even then it may not work in the live situation (studio and recording maybe). the tone YOU like may not be suitable for an audience and you to hear when playing live.

just sound like now you have sorted the gain issue you are going to have to spend a while searching through the tones your amp can produce along with the tones
from your bass, and infinite range of possibilities :huh:

i've had my amp for over a year now and i STILL mess with the eq on the amp and bass, little tweeks, its close but i'm still experimenting. :ph34r:

Edited by lowhand_mike

So, today I had two rehearsals with two bands, that means, one by Laney, and the other by Trace..

I thought, I was quite happy about Laney's sound through Line6( no 'simulated' amp, only compression..), but, when I plugged Line6 into Trace (pure sound was better than Laney, of course..), aaaaaand, tried using John Myung clean Yamaha sound-patch (imitation, with a bit of my bass EQ'uaqing) - I thought, I could start crying because of the prettiness, it was giving me..!

Zingy, punchy, warm... no, Hot!

Tomorrow I'll try that patch through my Laney - maybe 'he' will take it..

Sorry for flim-fams, but, it was probably the first time in my bass-life, I was so satisfied with my sound...

Cheers everyone, I'm going to get some sleep..
Faith