Why become a member? ×

Park Mystery Cab... Anyone have any ideas?

Coldflows

Hello all! Today I bought a bass cab, have been told its from the 70s but the previous owner knew absolutely nothing about it.

It appears to be a Park 2x12, it's passively powered and I think didn't originally have the (uberugly) grills.

Anyone know anything about it or recognize it? I'll open it up tomorrow and see what's inside it, will post pictures too.

Ta muchly!

Ben

If I remember correctly Park were made and sold by Marshall as a way of circumventing a sole distributor deal that Jim Marshall had made with Rose Morris. More info at [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Amplification"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Amplification[/url]

[quote name='Subthumper' timestamp='1395332082' post='2401263']
Don't know about the cab but that looks like H/H drivers in there. Worth researching the cab, some of . The park stuff is worth bucks.
[/quote]

+1 on those being HH drivers. I wouldn't worry too much about the surface rust, as long as the drivers sound good of course. I'd have thought the original units might have been Celestion G15C or possibly Powercel if it is indeed a genuine Park / Marshall cab. The HH speakers are at least fitting with the period.. Loving the ali dust-caps! :D

Where would I find info on the cab? I tested the speakers and they are both working but I can't find any info on the output or impedance. They are wired in parallel so that leads me towards 4 ohm. I'm glad I don't have to worry about the rust, is there anything I can do to improve it?

Thanks guys!

I had one of these Mid '80's, It came with a matching Park 50w valve head, I seem to remember I paid £120 used for the rig including a original 60's Epiphone Rivoli bass and sold the bass on to Johnny Roadhouse.

I think output will be less than 100watts if it came with the same head, The head had 4,8 and 16 ohm taps from memory.

Sorry for the double post again guys.

Measured the ohms of the drivers and the top is 10 ohm, the bottom is 7 ohm and both in parallel is 4. That should make it easier to find a head. My next question is is it worth restoring, the tolex has seen better days and it 100% needs a cloth before the center of the speakers gets any worse haha. If ANYONE has a picture of what it looked like originally I would be super grateful.

Ta.

Ben

What you're measuring there is the coils' DC resistance. The speakers will most likely have a nominal impedance of 16 and 8 ohms respectively, giving the cab a 5.33 ohm impedance. It also means the 16 ohm speaker will be getting [s]twice[/s] half as much power as the 8 ohm, which isn't really ideal.

Personally I'm beginning to think this cab isn't worth dropping much more cash on if you're planning on using it in a band situation.

[Edited to get things the right way round!]

Edited by Musky

Personally, I'd restore it, just depends if you have the time, patience, funds and inclination..

I think you're dead right about losing those nasty grilles and getting a cloth cover instead. As for the drivers, the 4 / 16 ohm thing isn't great but maybe you could move them on and get a pair of equal impedance units instead? Those HH speakers are seldom seen these days and I doubt they're worth much but you might be lucky. I bet a pair of the old Celestion Powercels would sound great, they too have the metal dustcap which can promote that bit of top end bite..

Can anyone recommend some equally sized drivers for this? I was looking at a pair of peavy black widows but I think as its really a Marshall that might not sell well. Also been looking at tuff cab paint, the tolex is truly rough. Anyone have any experience with it?