Why become a member? ×

Playing with a Pick - looking for advice

Count Bassy

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1395150512' post='2399195']

Check out the three fingered technique of Mr Billy Sheehan, you will never need a pick to play fast again.
[/quote]

I recently saw a bassist (female incidentally) do this at a local gig. I was very impressed . I have had a little go at it, but really need to improve my finger strength and co-ordination. I reckon it would be more achievable than picking though.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1395174240' post='2399511']
I recently saw a bassist (female incidentally) do this at a local gig. I was very impressed. I have had a little go at it, but really need to improve my finger strength and co-ordination. I reckon it would be more achievable than picking though.
[/quote]

It's a relatively simple technique but takes quite a bit of "lock yourself away for a few days in a darkened room" type of application until it becomes second nature.

Basically you play a count of four with three fingers, starting with your 3rd finger, 1, 2, 3, 4, ending on your 3rd finger, then start the next count on your 2nd finger, 1, 2, 3. 4, ending on your 2nd, then start on your index finger, 1, 2, 3, 4, ending on your index finger. Repeat. Faster...

It can be a little tricky at first, but when you can do it without thinking you can basically rev your three digits like an engine, it can be quite satisfying to do.

I, of course, have only read about this somewhere and shun this type of playing on account of my devotion of traditional English folk music for the last 20 yrs...

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1395150512' post='2399195']

Check out the three fingered technique of Mr Billy Sheehan, you will never need a pick to play fast again.
[/quote]
Adrian Lambert, Biomechanical's current Bass player and former member of DragonForce, has an incredibly solid three finger picking style, he makes Billy Sheehan look positively sloppy.

Another thought, If you want to play finger style but have the attack off a 50 calibre machine gun firing at a Tank. For Banjo I use metal finger picks, but I don't wear them on top of my fingers, sort of like a fake fingernail, I wear them underneath and bent back over the tips of my fingers. So it is basically giving you steel finger tips. It actually works on Bass, too, and sounds insane.

• 2 months later...

Just to resurrect a dead thread rather than start a new one: i've just had acrylic nails done and at band practice yesterday my tone was just WOW. Clearly picking with the full nail was partway towards a pick tone, but even being more careful and just using the fingertip gave more solidity to my sound as it gave the squashy bit of my finger more to push against.

Ok, some of you may be a smidge 'eek' at the idea of having girlie nails, but if you feel like embracing your inner glam rocker then its worth it... :D