Why become a member? ×

New Gig Rig.

Rayman

It certainly is Jase yes, oldish but in excellent nick as you say. I just hope it sounds as good as it looks, I'll find out Monday night.

Yeah Betsy now has a Vince Ray sticker Ped, one of my favourite artists, as seen adorning Brian Setzers Gretches. I think it just finishes her off nicely. I think Her and the Geddy will make a good team.

Before you launch into the graphic , try switching it out alltogether and using one of the pre-shapes , maybe a tickle towards the bass side with the EQ balance.

I've the same amp here behind me , works for me that way. Added bonus that you can set the graphic in a stupid shape to confuse people !!!!!

To be fair , you'd have to work hard to make that rig sound bad. I've always like the combo/extension set up too. 2 tens and a 15 - sorted.

Nice one.

Just beware if it starts to get a little noisy. Time for Mr repair man to have a butchers if it does.

[quote name='Rayman' post='236836' date='Jul 10 2008, 06:59 PM']It certainly is Jase yes, oldish but in excellent nick as you say. I just hope it sounds as good as it looks, I'll find out Monday night.

Yeah Betsy now has a Vince Ray sticker Ped, one of my favourite artists, as seen adorning Brian Setzers Gretches. I think it just finishes her off nicely. I think Her and the Geddy will make a good team.[/quote]

Roll on Monday night! :)

Yes indeed, can't wait for Monday.

Thanks for that Dave. Yes it'll take me a while to find the right sound with it, I tend to find the sound I like and just stick with it throughout the set, changing the tone on the bass rather than the amp if needs be. So I fully intend to spend quite some time with the graphic, never had one on an amp before.

As I'm guessing it's quite a bright sound from the Trace, like the Roland is, I'll probably lean it in a bottom end direction initially, again like the Roland, and I'll find a nice tone to get me started. Then I'll tweak it over time.

I don't use effects at all, just bass, cord, amp. Simple. So finding "My" sound on the amp will be important. If I can find anything like the one I get from the Roland, but with a little more headroom, I'll be a very happy chap.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='237378' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:22 PM']mmmmmmmm Trace goodness!

How much did it set you back, if you don't mind the asking![/quote]

£400 on the nose. Nice bloke and a nice gaff it came from too. It's a good looker for its age that's for sure.

Yep, love the Geddy Lee, Lee, nice low action, in fact I might raise it a tad, all polished up with new strings etc.

Well it's a disapointing end to the day.

I rehearsed with the rig tonight, and after only a couple of songs it cut out on me. While turning the amp around to look at the back, sparks and flashes started to appear under the amp, in the gap between the amp and the top of the speaker. A few seconds later it came back on and sounded fine again. This happened three times during the rehearsal. A dry joint in the solder somewhere? Don't know, and I wouldn't know where to start getting it fixed.

I've got gigs coming up, and now I have a rig that might let me down.

I'm feeling very deflated :) .

Fixed.

I had the amp out this morning and found the offending loose wire that was shorting out.

One soldering iron and a roll of solder (no, not ALL of it) later, the amp is working perfectly, touch wood.

[quote name='Rayman' post='239866' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:34 AM']Fixed.

I had the amp out this morning and found the offending loose wire that was shorting out.

One soldering iron and a roll of solder (no, not ALL of it) later, the amp is working perfectly, touch wood.[/quote]

Phew .. best make sure you use a PCB and steer clear of mics at your gigs 'til you can get it checked out ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='239889' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:51 AM']Phew .. best make sure you use a PCB and steer clear of mics at your gigs 'til you can get it checked out ..[/quote]

Lol, yeah, I'll get it serviced at some point, but I'm confident it's OK now, it was a fairly simple repair in the end.

[quote name='ped' post='239915' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:12 PM']That's good to hear - how did it sound (when it was working)

ped[/quote]

It sounded great, but different to the Roland. The Roland was very bright and punchy, with some low end bringing up the rear. The Trace sounds totally different. I expected quite a bright tone, but it was quite low and thumpy in the mix. Obviously the 1x15 will make it bigger at the bottom, and that's exactly what I wanted, so I guess I need to find a simillar tone to the Roland from the 2x10 if I can, with some thump from the 1x15. It'll take some serious fiddling to achieve I reckon.

Anyway, yes, It sounded very big, and very clear, with lots of bottom end, so aside from the fault, I'm happy with it so far.

But 2 flights of stairs to the rehearsal room, with that combo....................[i]groan [/i] :) .

Probably takes some getting used to I imagine. I bet it sounds really big from the audience though. Well done on the quick fix, that must have been a real relief and one of those moments that makes you feel like a 'proper' man, fixing things!

The old Trace gear is great [i]when it works[/i]. I loved the sound of my old 300W/GP7, but 3 times it blew its output transistors, 2 of those times taking my speakers with it (an enthusiastic lad at one party tried to assure me the burning smell was the party poppers that he had just let off - sadly not!). That final time was the last straw for me, and she was sadly relegated to 'possible future project' status (assuming i can find a way to power the preamp - i don't trust the power stage anymore).
Solid and workmanlike - but treat with kid gloves whenever possible IMO....

Edited by El_JimBob

[quote name='Rayman' post='239920' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:20 PM']It sounded great, but different to the Roland. The Roland was very bright and punchy, with some low end bringing up the rear. The Trace sounds totally different. I expected quite a bright tone, but it was quite low and thumpy in the mix. Obviously the 1x15 will make it bigger at the bottom, and that's exactly what I wanted, so I guess I need to find a simillar tone to the Roland from the 2x10 if I can, with some thump from the 1x15. It'll take some serious fiddling to achieve I reckon.

Anyway, yes, It sounded very big, and very clear, with lots of bottom end, so aside from the fault, I'm happy with it so far.

But 2 flights of stairs to the rehearsal room, with that combo....................[i]groan [/i] :huh: .[/quote]

Ha ha Markbass and Neo next then :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='240570' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:19 AM']I'm chuffed to hear you haven't jacked Russ - nice rig mate :)

PS - still owe you some money mate.[/quote]

Don't leave the country :huh: .

Nah, I've tried to call it a day before, and failed, I love playing too much. It's been a very frustrating time for the band though, for a number of reasons. Hopefully back on track now.