Why become a member? ×

LED spotlight flicker/freeze

bonzodog

For small pub gigs we use 2 American DJ megapar LED spotlights. I have just noticed one of them is faulty. No matter what mode i put it on after a few minutes it will freeze on one colour and then flicker. If i press any of the buttons on the back to try and change it none of them work. I have to switch it off and on again to reset it and then it does the same a few minutes later. I have tried using other power leads but its the same. It is out of warranty now so does anyway know whats wrong and if it can be repaired. We have a gig on saturday i was planning on using it for.
Thanks

I had a similar thing happen to a KAM ParBar. Two of the wires had come off the 4-pin connector inside. If it had been just one I could have soldered it back on straight away, but because it was 2 (I think I dislodged the second one) I had to trace them and work out which was which. Anyway I got it sorted.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1394629225' post='2393456']
For small pub gigs we use 2 American DJ megapar LED spotlights. I have just noticed one of them is faulty. No matter what mode i put it on after a few minutes it will freeze on one colour and then flicker. If i press any of the buttons on the back to try and change it none of them work. I have to switch it off and on again to reset it and then it does the same a few minutes later. I have tried using other power leads but its the same. It is out of warranty now so does anyway know whats wrong and if it can be repaired. We have a gig on saturday i was planning on using it for.
Thanks
[/quote]

Not familiar with these, but have you checked this, from the manual...
[quote]Notice:
[font=sans-serif][size=4]Be sure to follow figures two and three when making your own cables. Do not use the ground lug on the XLR connector. Do not connect the cable’s shield conductor to the ground lug or allow the shield conductor to come in contact with the XLR’s outer casing. Grounding the shield could cause a short circuit and erratic behavior[/quote][/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4]...and this...[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4][quote]Special Note: Line Termination.
[font=sans-serif][size=4]When longer runs of cable are used, you may need to use a terminator on the last unit to avoid erratic behavior. A terminator is a 110-120 ohm 1/4 watt resistor which is connected between pins 2 and 3 of a male XLR connector (DATA + and DATA -). This unit is inserted in the female XLR connector of the last unit in your daisy chain to terminate the line. Using a cable terminator[/size][/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=4](ADJ part number Z-DMX/T) will decrease the possibilities of erratic behavior.[/quote][/size][/font]

[font=sans-serif][size=4]The manual may be found here...[/size][/font]

[font=sans-serif][size=4][url="http://www.americandj.com/pdffiles/mega_par_profile.pdf"]Manual...[/url][/size][/font]

[font=sans-serif][size=4]Hope this helps...[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Edited by Dad3353

I think i will take back off and have a look then for loose wires.
I never use the XLR socket as its not DMX'd. I purely plug it into the mains on its own. I have used terminators before when linking up a lot of lights but suppose its worth a try conmecting a terminator to it to see if it solves the issue
thanks