Why become a member? ×

FENDER BASS V1 & OLP MM5

BetaFunk

I've always liked the sound of the Fender Bass V1 but have always been put off by the price of them.
I have looked around for 30 inch Scale Guitars and have read somewhere that because of it's 30 inch scale the OLP MM5 Baritone Guitar can be converted to a BASS V1 style 6 string bass guitar.

As i have no technical knowledge of these things can anyone explain to what would be needed to convert it.

Any help appreciated.

the vi is strung E-E, an octave below a guitar.

which to my mind makes it a bass, but i know some disagree.

i think the mm5 is tuned A-A, but i'm sure i've read that people have strung it E-E without too much problem.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='236602' date='Jul 10 2008, 03:13 PM']the vi is strung E-E, an octave below a guitar.

which to my mind makes it a bass, but i know some disagree.[/quote]

Thanks ahpook.
What i couldn't work out was that it seems most think the Bass V1 is a Bass whereas the OLP MM5 is definately a Baritone. Thanks for explaining that.

Anyone know what gauge strings are used on the Bass V1?

[quote name='BetaFunk' post='236666' date='Jul 10 2008, 04:28 PM']Thanks ahpook.
What i couldn't work out was that it seems most think the Bass V1 is a Bass whereas the OLP MM5 is definately a Baritone. Thanks for explaining that.

Anyone know what gauge strings are used on the Bass V1?[/quote]

the fender set is 095 075 055 045 035 025 and d'addario also make a set (XL156) which is 084 072 056 044 034 024.

[quote name='ahpook' post='236674' date='Jul 10 2008, 04:40 PM']the fender set is 095 075 055 045 035 025 and d'addario also make a set (XL156) which is 084 072 056 044 034 024.[/quote]

Once again, thanks a lot for the info.

Now i'm off to look for a MM5 :)